Aorus Owner's Lounge

Associate
Hey all, so I'm new but have been closely watching this thread as I had a preorder for the X5 MD in place. Initial firestrike out of the box was 14158. Updating drivers right now and will let you know what happens. Disappointing, matzie, that your system didnt improve....really hoping that this was a one-off issue and my x5 will be better (and show that a new/RMA'd x5 will solve your issues, too!)

EDIT: the first score I got was after i set everything to performance mode. After updating drivers, I got a score of 14619. I'm using the stock fan settings/curve. Two to three samples is hardly a reliable population size, but it seems like there is definitely some sort of difference between preproduction samples and what we've received so far.

Despite that, the laptop (which i guess is more a representation of the X5 family, itself) is extremely well built/made.

Last edited:
Associate
Mine either.
I understand that generally with consumer products. If a person is happy with a product you won't hear much. If they are unhappy, they tell everyone.

Wish there was a bit more happy folks chiming in.

I plan on getting a laptop for school here in the next week. I absolutely cannot afford any RMA shenanigans.

Associate
So I just want to be clear--I'm overall not disappointed with my purchase. I don't think I'm the intended customer since I purchased/received this laptop as a gift and am not as intensely focused on benchmarks, but the x5 is so far the most impressive laptop I've ever owned. There will be/have been other reviews by more reputable/experienced people to better detail the x5. The only issue with the MD appears to be the performance of the q-max 1080, which, of course, is probably what most people willing to throw down $XXXX dollars are concerned with. If that's your main concern, then....yeah, I dunno, either mine and Matzie's laptops need some further driver tweaking or the design of the machine straight up doesn't allow for maximum performance equivalent to what's being seen with the Zephyrus.

That being said, I still really like this machine and feel like its design is more solid than the zephyrus' weird separating bottom plate. Again, I'm definitely not the typical customer for this product, but I really like this machine for what it is and won't RMA or anything unless it becomes apparent that my laptop is flawed and a replacement/hardware fix would give me that extra 5% graphics performance it's seemingly missing.

Associate
Hello all, I joined this forum because it seems to have more participation then NBR.
Can either of the Aorus reps let me know what the max battery life of the X5 V7 is? With the laptop battery saver on, and with the gpu power limited to like 70%? I really love the specs on paper and that HUGE 94Wh battery gives me hope that the laptop would survive a day of school.

And I have read through llike 30 ish pages of this thread and haven't seen to much mention of the X5 V7 other then people keep returning it.
Are the common issues I read about like the messed up keyboard still prevalent in the v7 models?

Thanks

Hello Scribbleheli, welcome to the forum!

Firstly, you mentioned in a later post that you wished there were more happy customers as it's a little disconcerting seeing all these RMAs(myself included) but I would just like to state that I am not disappointed in my experiences with the x5 v7-cf1 (4k, 32GB model) and was extremely happy with my purchase despite my RMA. But I'm only speaking for myself on this and thought it was worth mentioning.

I have noticed the RMAs appear to be inconsistent with deficiencies - my own RMA relating to the 'J' key becoming faulty (too sensitive) after temps rose due to prolonged use under heavy load. I see this fault as a minuet error in QA testing and don't hold any ill feelings towards the Aorus team. **** happens.

Note - If all the RMAs were the same fault then red flags would be waving and I'd be looking elsewhere for a notebook.

Now, to answer your question about battery life.
On my model I had the display brightness set to the 2nd lowest brightness (around 20%?) and set to battery saver mode in Windows OS and I was getting around 4hrs on the battery. This was when web browsing (chrome & Microsoft edge both tested and neither proving to be any noticeable different from the other - no benchmarking tools were used as I was more interested in realworld performance for my own usage.) and word docs in Microsoft Office 365. WiFi disabled as I was using an ethernet connection and no peripherals were attached. I can recall seeing the projected battery at one time seen to be reading 4hrs 38mins. My usage would change and I'd be streaming (viewing - not broadcasting) content from YouTube on occasion, viewing webpages with ad banners (gsmarena, destructiod for example) and the battery would drop to around a projected 3hrs.

Note - adblocker may increase battery life when web browsing.

Anyway, those are my findings. Between 3 - 4 hours. Windows OS was set to display at 4k with scaling so I didn't have to use binoculars when reading text.

Associate
Hello Scribbleheli, welcome to the forum!

Firstly, you mentioned in a later post that you wished there were more happy customers as it's a little disconcerting seeing all these RMAs(myself included) but I would just like to state that I am not disappointed in my experiences with the x5 v7-cf1 (4k, 32GB model) and was extremely happy with my purchase despite my RMA. But I'm only speaking for myself on this and thought it was worth mentioning.

I have noticed the RMAs appear to be inconsistent with deficiencies - my own RMA relating to the 'J' key becoming faulty (too sensitive) after temps rose due to prolonged use under heavy load. I see this fault as a minuet error in QA testing and don't hold any ill feelings towards the Aorus team. **** happens.

Note - If all the RMAs were the same fault then red flags would be waving and I'd be looking elsewhere for a notebook.

Now, to answer your question about battery life.
On my model I had the display brightness set to the 2nd lowest brightness (around 20%?) and set to battery saver mode in Windows OS and I was getting around 4hrs on the battery. This was when web browsing (chrome & Microsoft edge both tested and neither proving to be any noticeable different from the other - no benchmarking tools were used as I was more interested in realworld performance for my own usage.) and word docs in Microsoft Office 365. WiFi disabled as I was using an ethernet connection and no peripherals were attached. I can recall seeing the projected battery at one time seen to be reading 4hrs 38mins. My usage would change and I'd be streaming (viewing - not broadcasting) content from YouTube on occasion, viewing webpages with ad banners (gsmarena, destructiod for example) and the battery would drop to around a projected 3hrs.

Note - adblocker may increase battery life when web browsing.

Anyway, those are my findings. Between 3 - 4 hours. Windows OS was set to display at 4k with scaling so I didn't have to use binoculars when reading text.

Thanks for the write up. I have seen a bunch of RMAs over keyboard issues over the last few generations of the X5. So them popping up in the v7 makes me hesitant. The other RMAs are over poor performance with the MD. Again, there isn't a lot of x5v7 owners it seems.
I appreciate you answering my direct question. Now it becomes a question for me to decide that if I need the battery life of the Aero 15 and hope that it has the power to do what I need. Or the horsepower of the X5v7 and hope it last long enough to do what I need.
I'll be in school all day everyday (home being 45miles away) so all my homework from English class to all my engineering courses (CAD, matlab ect). Will be done on the laptop.

Associate
Hi @Atom80

Any firm date on the X7 dt V7 Cf1?
My X7 V2 is dying, out of curiosity I ran firestrike and got about 4550 (about half what was quoted when new) but not overly surprised considering how much the battery has swelled but the laptop does need replacing. Would be looking to buy an additional 1TB SSD with the DT, would you offer any discount to existing Aorus owners when buying a SSD along with the dt cf1?

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Well guys, what's the eta on the x7v7? Out of the country for 3 weeks next week and was hoping to have it!

Hi Ruadhan - Do you have pre-order placed with OcUK, and if yes, which model?

If not, which model (s) are you considering and we will try and provide accurate information as to what we expect to land next week.

Let us know.

Regards,

Team AORUS

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Hi @Atom80

Any firm date on the X7 dt V7 Cf1?
My X7 V2 is dying, out of curiosity I ran firestrike and got about 4550 (about half what was quoted when new) but not overly surprised considering how much the battery has swelled but the laptop does need replacing. Would be looking to buy an additional 1TB SSD with the DT, would you offer any discount to existing Aorus owners when buying a SSD along with the dt cf1?

Hi Rob_215 - we awaiting firm information from HQ as to what models are going to be shipped this week.

Although we can't offer discount on additional SSD, because we don't sell them, we of course would like to do something to honour your repeat custom. So let us know when order placed and we will arrange something for you.

Would one of these be of use to you? https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoru...top-backpack-case-black-orange-lt-02u-au.html

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

Team AORUS

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Thanks for the write up. I have seen a bunch of RMAs over keyboard issues over the last few generations of the X5. So them popping up in the v7 makes me hesitant. The other RMAs are over poor performance with the MD. Again, there isn't a lot of x5v7 owners it seems.
I appreciate you answering my direct question. Now it becomes a question for me to decide that if I need the battery life of the Aero 15 and hope that it has the power to do what I need. Or the horsepower of the X5v7 and hope it last long enough to do what I need.
I'll be in school all day everyday (home being 45miles away) so all my homework from English class to all my engineering courses (CAD, matlab ect). Will be done on the laptop.

Hi scribbleheli,

Far be it for us to talk you out of an AORUS purchase, but for sure if battery life is one of your key factors in the purchasing decision, AERO15 wins, giving genuine "all day" computing. Most tests in the media have been exceeding 7.5-8 hours under light/medium load, which for a machine with such high performance hardware is pretty unique in the market.

We are seeing a lot of professionals, content creators and editors purchasing AERO15, and have received much positive feedback on the machines performance, design and build quality.

Of course you know more about what is really important to you, but we thought we would add our view, from the inside :)

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
Hi Ruadhan - Do you have pre-order placed with OcUK, and if yes, which model?

If not, which model (s) are you considering and we will try and provide accurate information as to what we expect to land next week.

Let us know.

Regards,

Team AORUS

Hi Atom80,

Thanks for the reply, order is in for the X7V7-cf2.

All the best,

Ruadhán

Associate
Hi scribbleheli,

Far be it for us to talk you out of an AORUS purchase, but for sure if battery life is one of your key factors in the purchasing decision, AERO15 wins, giving genuine "all day" computing. Most tests in the media have been exceeding 7.5-8 hours under light/medium load, which for a machine with such high performance hardware is pretty unique in the market.

We are seeing a lot of professionals, content creators and editors purchasing AERO15, and have received much positive feedback on the machines performance, design and build quality.

Of course you know more about what is really important to you, but we thought we would add our view, from the inside :)

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Thanks for the reply.
I do understand that the Aero 15 has a superb battery life. And thats why I am stuck currently trying to decide. I don't know the how available power outlets are in the classrooms. And after some of the CAD projects Iv worked on have made my 4.8Ghz 6700k+GTX980 OC chug a little bit. I am in that back and forth struggle of is the battery life more important with less powerful hardware. Or should I get the more powerful hardware and get comfortable finding power outlets all the time.
If the X5v7 had optimus or some way to switch to the iGPU to save on battery, it would probably be perfect. I would give up Gsync for that.

Associate
Thanks for the reply.
I do understand that the Aero 15 has a superb battery life. And thats why I am stuck currently trying to decide. I don't know the how available power outlets are in the classrooms. And after some of the CAD projects Iv worked on have made my 4.8Ghz 6700k+GTX980 OC chug a little bit. I am in that back and forth struggle of is the battery life more important with less powerful hardware. Or should I get the more powerful hardware and get comfortable finding power outlets all the time.
If the X5v7 had optimus or some way to switch to the iGPU to save on battery, it would probably be perfect. I would give up Gsync for that.

Hi scribbleheli,

I just googled the keyboard shortcuts for autoCAD and ctrl+shift+C and ctrl+shift+v for copying and pasting may be an issue for you in that software as (as far as I am aware, atleast) the gigabyte aero 15 suffers from an issue where certain key combinations do not register.

You can see this here....

https://youtu.be/ZS70Rykql78

I believe an update was released by gigabyte to address the issue but I don't think the initial update was 100% effective for all users.

I'm in the same boat as you for my needs, actually, as I do games development so require the laptop for both mobility, development, and gaming.

Associate
Hi Rob_215 - we awaiting firm information from HQ as to what models are going to be shipped this week.

Although we can't offer discount on additional SSD, because we don't sell them, we of course would like to do something to honour your repeat custom. So let us know when order placed and we will arrange something for you.

Would one of these be of use to you? https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoru...top-backpack-case-black-orange-lt-02u-au.html

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

Team AORUS

Hi @Atom80

Thanks for the reply. as soon as we have a reasonable idea of when a delivery date will be I will look at placing an order. with regard to the SSD ports in the product description it states 'single drive reaching 2000 MB/s' and 'X7 DT v7 which houses two 512GB M.2 PCIe SSD'. Can you confirm that the cf1 (4K version) comes with a single 512Gb SSD and that one of these will fit in the second drive bay and will not be limited to the 2000MB/s:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...3.0-x-4-nvme-solid-state-drive-hd-22f-sa.html

Associate
I see that there is a BIOS update for the X5 MD listed on http://resources.aorus.com/Product/Download/X5 MD !

Versions are FB0D FD0D & EC009, dated 2017-07-31, whereas the previous version was FB0B FD0B & EC007 2017-06-23.

My machine is boxed up (not sealed though) and ready to return to OCUK - @Atom80 or @AORUS - Mean Machine , can you tell me if this update is worth unboxing it again for?! Any chance you've upped the performance?

Back
Top Bottom