apc smart ups 1500 runtime?

Associate
any one have one of these or something similar and able to give me a figure these will provide power for on batteries?

recently aquired one of thes from work for cheap and seems in good nick but suspect the battery may be going, provides about 10 mins of power my 22" tft and with my pc being idle (2600k asus z68 pro mobo, 8 gig ram, 3 x hard drives)

have seen it suggested on the box it came in and on apcs site that it will provide power for almost an hour! even the browser page for config etc initially suggests it will go for 50 mins

any help appreciated

Soldato
You should be able to find out the state of the batteries from the monitoring software which normally comes with such models. Did you get any CDs with it from work? 10 mins seems alright to just be able to close all and shutdown, but the unit can most certainly do better.

Soldato
I get about 20mins out of my belkin 1200va(670watts), thats when my pc is at idel, using about 160watts. The life span of the batts are about 3yrs on my ups as Ive just replaced mine

Associate
I get about 20mins out of my belkin 1200va(670watts), thats when my pc is at idel, using about 160watts. The life span of the batts are about 3yrs on my ups as Ive just replaced mine

How much did the new batteries cost? I have a very cheap and nasty UPS that cost £40 in march 2009 for a 1500VA (which has only ever given me about 10 minutes like the OP) a week ago I could smell burning and discovered the UPS was *very* hot, I took the cover off while it was still warm to find out what component was hot (OBVIOUSLY THIS CAN BE DANGEROUS DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS) and discovered 2 of the 4 batteries had warped with all lumpy sides and appeared to be were all the heat was coming from, the other 2 felt cooler to the touch and not distorted in any way. I ran an old 17" TFT and 24" LED monitors, cheap creative 5.1 system, and my main PC (2500k @ 4.2, asus p8p67 pro, 1 HDD, EVGA GTX570) the power it uses varies massively depending what I'm doing, from 120w to 350w at the wall, but as soon as the power goes off if I'm in the middle of playing a game I save and close it because it wouldn't last more than 3 minutes otherwise.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom