App Developing ?

Soldato
What platform? I'd suggest learning basic object orientated programming first. Oh and if you want to develop for the Apple iOS App Store you'll need a Mac and a deep understanding of Objective-C.

That will leave you with scars for life.

Man of Honour
For a bit of android development get yourself the following for a decent coding environment:

Eclipse Jee Juno - your coding environment
Android sdk tools
Java SE Development Kit 7
Motodev Studio for android 4.1 - Plugin for eclipse that supports bluestacks as a test android device.

Finally get yourself the android blue stacks player.

If your developing a game you could do worse than importing the code libraries for AndEngine (a 3d engine) and taking a look at some of the demos in there.

Ive been on/off developing two games now for a few months, I came up with a list of decent tutorials to make which I haven't got around to doing just yet.

Soldato
Depends what. You can do a surprising amount with HTML. (I.e. create a webapp).

HTML, jQuery for web apps (which are easier to do).

OOP language for "proper" apps.

HTML isn't really a programming language. Nor is it really much use for making "apps" in the context of what the OP is getting at.

For a bit of android development get yourself the following for a decent coding environment:

Good thing about Android is all the tools are free* but the bad thing is you'll need 10,000 different Android devices to test on and Android apps struggle to actually make money.

* Ok so technically Xcode and the iPad / iPhone simulator are free but you a: need to own a Mac and that costs and second,y you can't release an App without paying for a Developer Account.

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
To be honest, you'd be surprised at the amount of apps that are made as a webapp. So many functions can be done using javascript and HTML that you might as well have a webapp as it means compatibility between devices.

Associate
Actually with HTML5/JavaScript, Canvas, etc, you can do quite a bit.

Entirely depends what kind of app OP is looking to make.
I think that what he was getting at is that you can't make "apps" easily with HTML; you need to use JavaScript as well. Perhaps pedantry, but there is a rather large distinction to be made.

Soldato
Actually with HTML5/JavaScript, Canvas, etc, you can do quite a bit.

OP didn't specify exactly what kind of apps he wanted to make. I gave him both options and didn't say HTML was a programming language.

Indeed. HTML 5 can do a lot but when somebody says "App" I think smartphone not web.

First you need to learn assembly. all apps are made with it.

"Better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're an idiot than open it and remove all doubt."

Assembly? Really? Wow...

Soldato
Objective-C is an horrid abortion of a POS language and I wouldn't want to inflict it on anyone.

Yes, learning algorithms and OOP concepts is essential.

Objective-C isn't quite as bad as people make out and the version used in iOS development has at least moved out of the 1980's. however I think one of the core learning goals, once you have the basics mastered, is to wrestle with a difficult language. The scars it gives you tends to do two things. 1. Makes you a better programmer. 2. Causes you to quit and do something else. :D

Back
Top Bottom