App for testing VR's visual acuity

Soldato
Should be useful for comparing differences in sharpness across different manufacturers. LCDs and optics are both in play and it should be a somewhat objective test.

Untitled.jpg

This is basically the same line of text (same font and size) repeated at different distances, about 1m per line. In my Oculus CV1 the last line I can clearly see without guessing is the one at 11m, so line number 11. What about your Lenovo, Vive (Pro), Samsung, Dell etc etc? :)

Donwload the app here: https://www.youtube.com/redirect?redir_token=jS3UOEs93rYaxJMxtJrtkuby4Kx8MTUyMjg3OTk3NUAxNTIyNzkzNTc1&v=4bZDWlXNI34&q=http://www.tribalinstincts.com/vr/EyeExam.zip&event=video_description

Or get it from the description to this app creator's video: https://youtu.be/4bZDWlXNI34

Last edited:
Associate
That's Tribal Instinct's work, right?
I like his channel. Not tried his app though, not really any point as I have a Vive and he's tested it already as well as the Pro version.

Unfortunately it's pretty subjective as the same line is used over and over so your brain fills in any gaps. Perhaps if it was random letters like a proper eye test?

Soldato
OP
As long as we're honest I do not see a problem. I know that I can read line 11, but 12 is just too scrambled up and that is good enough imho. I was surprised by his test of the Vive where he said only line 8 was readable. So double checking would be good. PLsu would be a good comparo against other headsets. Without such a test, owners' opinions are hard to make sense of, especially when people are comparing to other sets from memory or never had VR before.

Soldato
On my Samsung Odyssey I can get to line 14 on that app. This is with 1.5 SS in SteamVR settings.

Some of the comments on youtube are pretty idiotic. One guy is stating the review is unfair because he didn't increase the Super-sampling on the Vive 1 to compensate for the increased resolution on the Vive Pro.

There aren't enough facepalm memes to respond to such an idiotic point.

Soldato
I just checked and my steam VR SS was actually defaulted to 110% and not 150%. If I drop the SS to default I can read to line 11, 12 becomes guessing if I'm honest.

150% in Steam VR makes it readable to 15 (barely) , so barely any better than 110% SS. Going all the way to 500% made zero difference compared to 150% as far as reading further away. All it did was make what was already readable sharper. I suspect at some point the issue becomes actual PPI coupled with SDE.

Though without knowing everyone's actual Steam VR or Oculus tray tools SS settings comparisons are inaccurate.

Soldato
OP
Cheers! My Oculus is at default SS/PD and I can also read up to line 11. Agree about SS, it does make a bit of a difference (20-25%?), so best to compare default vs default and best case SS vs best case SS. But, like you say, even infinite amounts of SS do not overcome problems of PPI and optics, which is what the test is all about.

Back
Top Bottom