Apple Care info & other help needed.

Associate
Hi there,

I bought my MacBook Pro second hand about 2 months ago now. The guy I bought it from got it about 5 months before I took it off his hands. Can I buy apple care for it? Also do I have to call Apple to put the machine in my name for warranty purposes?

Cheers for your help

Soldato
Wouldn't the warranty have to be in your name already if it's to be furthered?

If it is in your name or you can get it put in your name (from the last owner) then you can certainly get AppleCare for it.

Deleted member 329

D

Deleted member 329

i think you can

call apple

its costs £200 .... £200 that you could just save towards the newist macbook for when you one breaks :d

thats what i would do

Associate
You buy Applecare for the serial number, not an individual. You can buy it any time within the first year, estimated from the shipping date, not date of purchase.

You can also get it cheaper... look around for Applecare on eBay. I will be getting mine that way later this year.

Caporegime
Did we ever get to the bottom of how this works with Higher Education purchases? Don't you get 3 years warranty with that store? Why do they want you to shell out £200 for AppleCare again?

wij

wij

Associate
Apple Care is more than just a warranty though, it gives you additional phone support from Apple and you get some bits of software with the Apple Care bundle to help you diagnose hardware faults with your Mac - whether that is worth paying £200 for ontop of the educational warranty is up to you is suppose :)

Deleted member 329

D

Deleted member 329

yeah as far as i am aware the £50 edu one is the same but cant be transfered

not 100% tho

Soldato
ic1male said:
Did we ever get to the bottom of how this works with Higher Education purchases? Don't you get 3 years warranty with that store? Why do they want you to shell out £200 for AppleCare again?

Robotica said:
yeah as far as i am aware the £50 edu one is the same but cant be transfered

not 100% tho

Ok I have been investigating this as im going to be getting a MBP soon. Here is what I have been told. When ordering online or via the phone you get a 3 years warranty with the laptop which is NOT global and you don't get the phone support. In store I have been told this is only for 1year but that seems odd. For around £60 you can uplift this 3 year warranty so that it equals the Applecare warranty, ie global coverage, phone support etc.

Now I was wondering about selling the MBP on as well. First I phoned one of the Apple Retail stores and they said as soon as you leave the shop its urs to do with as you please. The Warrenty is linked to the serial number of your Notebook and you just need to re install OSX and reregister it. I then phoned the Apple main number. He said you can transfer the warranty but you may need to contact apple to give the new address etc but the warranty is linked to the serial number.

Hope that helps you out.

Back
Top Bottom