Apple iPod Mini - how do I access it?

Capodecina
Soldato
I have been given an unwanted 6GB Apple iPod Mini and USB lead.
After I plugged in the USB lead and allowed it to charge up it seems to work - i.e. I can see songs on it and play them.
If I connect it to a Windows 7 PC, I can see files with meaningless names in various sub-folders and can play them using VLC Media Player.
However, if I connect it to a Windows 10 PC, I can NOT see any files and therefore can't play them using VLC Media Player or more significantly replace them with my choice of music.

How do I access this device?

Soldato
ITunes?

So you've got a second hand ipod with preloaded songs on it?

Apples file structure on the device is rubbish but then it's not intended to be used in that way.

Soldato
How do I access this device?

If i recall correctly, the files are in hidden folders and are given like a random letter number combo as names. They should still import the artist name and song title when played on a media player though.

Transferring songs on an off is easiest on itunes because you can actually see what you are removing and adding.

I would see if switching on 'view hidden folders and files' helps, though you wont get too far as the files and folders dont really have any proper organisation or naming if you just look at it like a flash drive

Soldato
Yep - iTunes is bloody horrible bloatware. I'm sure there must be alternatives by now. Doesn't it install the "Bonjour" service, which I seem to recall gave me a lot of hassle in the past?

Commissario
Bear in mind that if you don't have access to the original library the iPod was synced with, you won't be able to access it via iTunes.

There used to be a utility called Seniti (iTunes backwards) that would allow you to get files off of an device but I don't remember whether that was OS X or Windows or if it even exists any more.

iTunes is great on the Mac, it works really well but I believe it's not generally accepted as being so good on Windows.

Back
Top Bottom