Apple MBP quality in a Windows laptop?

I have a rMPB currently and looking to sell it. Love the machine but Windows is just more favourable in my day to day tasks. VM/Bootcamp has not been a great experience either (...plus I can sell it for how much I payed for it last year so why not :p)

I'm currently looking at Thinkpad and Dell offerings. My main gripe is that there seems to be so much keyboard flex it looks slightly worrying.

I'm leaning towards a Thinkpad because I've used them before in the past (albeit the way older models) and they were great. It looks like they took a miss step but are back on track now. The X250 seems like a good choice. Keyboard doesn't look as good as previous iterations but it's probably most likely better than a Macs anyway :p

I looked into "gaming" laptops but they all look fairly shoddy. It looks like if you want specs you're gonna have to sacrifice everything else (build quality, battery, display, etc.) which is a shame. It feels like a SSD is all you need to make a laptop fly anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've no idea why Apple is seemingly the only laptop manufacturer that makes available the very top end CPUs that include Iris Pro and large L4/LLC cache etc, but nobody else offers them. Add to that things like PCI-E SSDs (which Dell have also just started using this generation finally) and some voodoo battery magic.
There are a couple of laptops being marketed as workstations that come close - the HP ZBook Studio and the Dell Precision 5510. Both are available with mobile Xeon processors, 32GB RAM and discrete graphics, and are around the same sort of size and weight as the rMBP 15. The ZBook isn't available yet, but the Dell is. You're right though, Apple are top of the pile when it comes to the overall package. I was very close to buying an rMBP 13 this week as an overly indulgent Christmas present for myself, but when I saw the XPS 13 9350 I just couldn't resist it, so I went with that instead.

Back
Top Bottom