*** The official Apple September Event Thread - Tuesday 10th September 2019 ***

Soldato
On my 8+ still.

I want a smaller phone but with a the same screen real estate (more or less) which makes the x/xs perfect. I'll see what they come out with in September. I may wait another year. Do you think there's any chance of them bumping the price? I'm not sure I could justify spending more than 1k on a phone.

Still have an SE here, think it came out in 2016.

I might update to a newer iPhone this year or the next.

Soldato
Although an extra hundred or 2 isn't massive in the grand scheme of things, I just don't think I can justify spending that much on a phone.

I'm torn on this point.

I agree, a couple of hundred quid isn't much overall, but to continue to support a company which imposes these increases year on year only leads to consumers being negatively impacted.

Having said that, using the terminology "justify spending that much on a phone" isn't right, is it? Is that a fair assessment of the product? For sure, it's a phone, but it's so much more than that nowadays. It's a fantastic camera for both photography and videography, it's an internet browser, it's all your social media platforms, it's your alarm clock, it's all your banking services, it's all your debit/credit cards, all your store cards, it's interactive maps, it's a translator, it's YouTube, etc. etc. - sure, the old products were those, too, but to a lesser extent were they as good at doing said things.

And there's always the option to sell your phone at the end of your contract, should you have one. I'm not sure it's a reliable measure but a £1,000 phone must be worth at least £300 in two years, as such it's cost you £700 over two years, or rougly £1 a day - some folk spend three or four times that daily on coffee alone.

I'm not necessarily glued to my phone but the value I get from daily is invaluable. And with incremental updates year on year, I do believe they represent great value for money.

Soldato
Wasn't sure which thread to stick this in, but the Apple store just added a new LG 5K Ultrafine display (27")... hopefully not as borked as the last one, so there's a viable alternative to having to get an iMac to get that 5K goodness. Still not the prettiest thing though.

Soldato
I'm torn on this point.

I agree, a couple of hundred quid isn't much overall, but to continue to support a company which imposes these increases year on year only leads to consumers being negatively impacted.

Having said that, using the terminology "justify spending that much on a phone" isn't right, is it? Is that a fair assessment of the product? For sure, it's a phone, but it's so much more than that nowadays. It's a fantastic camera for both photography and videography, it's an internet browser, it's all your social media platforms, it's your alarm clock, it's all your banking services, it's all your debit/credit cards, all your store cards, it's interactive maps, it's a translator, it's YouTube, etc. etc. - sure, the old products were those, too, but to a lesser extent were they as good at doing said things.

And there's always the option to sell your phone at the end of your contract, should you have one. I'm not sure it's a reliable measure but a £1,000 phone must be worth at least £300 in two years, as such it's cost you £700 over two years, or rougly £1 a day - some folk spend three or four times that daily on coffee alone.

I'm not necessarily glued to my phone but the value I get from daily is invaluable. And with incremental updates year on year, I do believe they represent great value for money.

I could easily justify it in the same way you have, and it does sound reasonable but if consumers keep supporting these yearly price rises then phones become unaffordable. The main problem is, Apple set the prices for smart phones really. Apple bump the price, so does everyone else. I don't know what the solution is but I think I'm setting £1k as my limit unless it's something extremely special.

Associate
I should know better to react to obvious bait... but, what basics are being skimped on?
Fast charger in the box for one - Although this year it’s rumoured Apple may actually include one.
Lack of headphone adapter
64GB base storage for a £1000 phone meanwhile their competition is starting at 128GB

fez

fez

Caporegime
This year so far has been super slow with regards to the iPhone. Very few rumours and it looks like it will literally be a processor bump, new triple camera and thats about it.

Have to say, for the first time since the 4S I have had almost 0 desire to update my phone from the X. Still looks brand new, works flawlessly and super quick and doesn't lack anything compared to the newer models. The camera is fantastic even if its not as good as the newer ones but I don't take photos that require perfect quality.

Associate
This year so far has been super slow with regards to the iPhone. Very few rumours and it looks like it will literally be a processor bump, new triple camera and thats about it.

If the iPhone 11 is literally a CPU bump and a triple camera over the XS then Apple are really going to struggle to sell them.

Soldato
If the iPhone 11 is literally a CPU bump and a triple camera over the XS then Apple are really going to struggle to sell them.

And yet the ‘S’ year phones continue to sell like Imodium on a budget package holiday. I suspect this helped by people on 2 year contracts who can’t upgrade on new iThing launch years.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
And yet the ‘S’ year phones continue to sell like Imodium on a budget package holiday. I suspect this helped by people on 2 year contracts who can’t upgrade on new iThing launch years.

Also those on the iPhone Upgrade Program. They will see the cost to change has small, since their monthly stays the same. They miss that fact they have to pay the upfront fee again and they only have 9 months left on their current payments.

Soldato

Have to say, for the first time since the 4S I have had almost 0 desire to update my phone from the X. Still looks brand new, works flawlessly and super quick and doesn't lack anything compared to the newer models. The camera is fantastic even if its not as good as the newer ones but I don't take photos that require perfect quality.

I agree. The only reason I traded in my X and went for the XS Max was because I missed the Plus sized phones. Nothing I've heard about the 11 has made me twitchy yet.

Associate
I agree. The only reason I traded in my X and went for the XS Max was because I missed the Plus sized phones. Nothing I've heard about the 11 has made me twitchy yet.

I'm planning to upgrade my X to an 11 Max this time. The X second hand value is still pretty strong so maybe cost me around £700 for the upgrade.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Also those on the iPhone Upgrade Program. They will see the cost to change has small, since their monthly stays the same. They miss that fact they have to pay the upfront fee again and they only have 9 months left on their current payments.

Kind of depends how desperate they are to have the new iPhone. If they step away from the program their bills will drop to £15/month instead of £50/60.

Back
Top Bottom