*** The official Apple September Event Thread - Tuesday 10th September 2019 ***

Associate
This year so far has been super slow with regards to the iPhone. Very few rumours and it looks like it will literally be a processor bump, new triple camera and thats about it.

Have to say, for the first time since the 4S I have had almost 0 desire to update my phone from the X. Still looks brand new, works flawlessly and super quick and doesn't lack anything compared to the newer models. The camera is fantastic even if its not as good as the newer ones but I don't take photos that require perfect quality.
I don’t think it’s been slow, there’s been plenty of rumours.

There’s just been nothing that really stands out especially in comparison to what’s rumoured next year.

iPhone 11 Lineup
  • Triple camera on the rear - Wide angle, super wide angle and telephoto lens
    "Smart Frame, which captures the area around the framed area in pictures and videos so that the user can adjust the framing or perform automatic perspective and crop corrections in post."
  • Dual Camera for XR
  • 12MP front camera with 120fps recording and 5 Element lens on all models
  • WiFi 6 support
  • Removal of 3D Touch - Updated Taptic Engine code named "Leap Haptics"
  • Bilateral wireless charging
  • Improved FaceID
  • Battery increases of 15-20% for 5.8" model and 10-15% for 6.5"
  • Potential Apple Pencil Support
  • 18W Charger in the box
  • Dual Bluetooth Audio Support

iPhone 2020 so far:
  • New lineup - 5.4", 6.1" & 6.7"
  • OLED on all 3 models.
  • 90hz-120hz Display
  • Reduced Notch
  • USB-C
  • 5G
  • 5nm A14
  • ToF camera sensor on the rear for 3D & AR capability's.
  • Return of the fingerprint, in display - Although I'm skeptical, we've heard this every year since the X, and latest rumour would suggest it may actually arrive in 2021.
Whether some of that is even true is another story, but as we're a year away whatever rumours are floating around will gain more traction.

Last edited:
Soldato
There’s no technical reason Apple couldn’t combine the 2020 rumours with the iPhone 11 rumours, excepting the 5nm A14 (obviously too late now but one can dream). Imagine what a phone that would have been!

Soldato
The X second hand value is still pretty strong so maybe cost me around £700 for the upgrade.

Is it? I just got a second hand X from a private seller on the Faceache market place for £320 boxed, with no marks and all the accessories unused. Looking around at the usual refurb sellers they are £450+ with a discount code to be added on some of them.

Let not also forget as soon as the new phones are due out you'll drop another 10-15-20% off that price too as the Xs will drop in value. If you get £300 for it after two years you'd be doing well, they are the worst holders of value from any generation of phone from Apple (after the original one).

Associate
Is it? I just got a second hand X from a private seller on the Faceache market place for £320 boxed, with no marks and all the accessories unused. Looking around at the usual refurb sellers they are £450+ with a discount code to be added on some of them.

The recycle price is currently £410 for the 64GB weird that the private seller sold it you for £320....as he just threw away £90. But yes that recycle price will drop to £320/£350 I expect when the new models launch.

Soldato
The recycle price is currently £410 for the 64GB weird that the private seller sold it you for £320....as he just threw away £90. But yes that recycle price will drop to £320/£350 I expect when the new models launch.

Well I bought another from the MM here, in Oct/Nov last year for £450, so I wouldn't say £320 was super low. Some people simply don't trust the recycling sites, and I don't blame them I've done it a few times and they've reneged on the original price offered due to "not as described condition"

The 11 Max, will probably start at £1149.

Man of Honour
SE2.

same frame as SE but screen to the edges, bezel-less. just a tad faster. better battery.... £500

I think this might be a pipe dream at the moment, I'm still rocking an SE and was hoping for an SE2 to be announced last year. Don't think it'll ever happen. Sucks because I have no need for a larger phone, but I don't wanna jump over to android

Associate
I think this might be a pipe dream at the moment, I'm still rocking an SE and was hoping for an SE2 to be announced last year. Don't think it'll ever happen. Sucks because I have no need for a larger phone, but I don't wanna jump over to android

You’re probably right. How could they justify £1000+ phones that don’t offer any innovation or major quality of life upgrade.

I’d like to think they might do it to re-capture some of the market, but the more I see of recent Apple the more I see them in it only for the money.

Associate
I don’t think we’ll see a price increase.
This years models are being coined lacklustre before it’s actually being unveiled. Maybe next year if Apple were considering to increase.

Associate
This years iPhone is looking rather dull, after owning a OnePlus 7 Pro for a few weeks, I’m wondering whether to switch completely as the hardware and software on the 7 Pro was great.

The ecosystem keeps me tied in though, so maybe I just stick it out with my Xs Max until next years big changes...

I don’t think Apple are the only company releasing small and/or disappointing updates this year, the Note 10 wasn’t exactly exciting, the S10 wasn’t a huge leap either. The Pixel 4 looks interesting but I’m still not convinced on the Pixel line, seems a very niche market with sales shrinking over the last couple years.

Soldato
Not sure why people are so obsessed with massive phone tech leaps - what more can they really do other than make the camera better? and the electronics/screen use less power thus longer battery life and minor changes etc? - the real leap will come from the software - making it faster, easier, more intuitive etc, this is why I use apple, aside from generally better privacy, iOS 13 and iPad OS with its integration of Mac OS is leaps and bounds ahead of anyone else - I also love they don't try and sell you stuff/ads every 1 second, windows is horrific for that now, aside from full of spyware constantly installing games no body wants is absurd - apples the only one that's more or less got its software act together.

Soldato
Not sure why people are so obsessed with massive phone tech leaps - what more can they really do other than make the camera better? and the electronics/screen use less power thus longer battery life and minor changes etc? - the real leap will come from the software - making it faster, easier, more intuitive etc, this is why I use apple, aside from generally better privacy, iOS 13 and iPad OS with its integration of Mac OS is leaps and bounds ahead of anyone else - I also love they don't try and sell you stuff/ads every 1 second, windows is horrific for that now, aside from full of spyware constantly installing games no body wants is absurd - apples the only one that's more or less got its software act together.

Which is the problem for all device manufacturers, it is in fact the software that needs to get better and continued development of the operating systems, and the usability of the devices in general means that newer hardware should end up being superfluous. Much like the fact you can happily run (the hated) Windows 10 on a Core 2 Duo just fine with an SSD, you should equally be able to run iOS 13/14/15/16/17/18/19/20 on an iPhone X, but we know that won't happen as they will claim some form of incompatibility in order to shift more handsets, add to their bank balance and the global electrical waste problem.

How many people are willing to part with the best part of £1k to get a marginal upgrade with respect to the hardware, even if the software has some much better features, they will be in the severe minority, and not the majority.

Associate
I wouldn’t say I was obsessed but this will be 3rd year of same design and like it or not, sales are affected by lack of innovation and changes.

I agree with what you say, it’s a phone, there isn’t a lot more that can be done apart from incremental improvements. Samsung just released a 108mp sensor which is just nuts considering the 40mp sensors are really being used that much.

mom sure the iPhone 11 will sell well, just not the usual high numbers due to so many leaked iPhone 12 stories!

Soldato
OP
3rd year on a similar design? Not sure which phones you have been using.

Aside from shrinking bezels the form factor has been pretty much the same since the iPhone 6. Samsung has used the same form factor since they released the edge.

Not sure what you expect other than a thin rectangular slab with a screen on the front?

iPhone 6, 6S, 7 and 8 were almost indistinguishable and look completely identical in a case.

Back
Top Bottom