Apple VR

Associate
Any reliable news on this?

Some say it will be a premium 2k device. Others say it will be cheap, tethered to iphone.

Either way doesn't sound like an upgrade for a quest 2 for pcvr?

Associate
Well the fact that rumours are you will need an iPhone to use it I'm out straight away. It's also very likely to be very expensive and not have the game library that steam and Oculus have, at least at launch. As said it may not even be much for gaming.
I'm going to watch from the sidelines for this one.

Soldato
If Apple are serious about VR, then the headset they come out with will probably be a genuine contender for best VR headset.

Of course, it won't be cheap and it will probably need an apple device to set it up.

Associate
If Apple are serious about VR, then the headset they come out with will probably be a genuine contender for best VR headset.

I honestly don't see how that will be possible, is Apple going to develop games for the App Store competing against HL Alyx, are they going to tether it to a Mac with Pro AMD GPUs or establish a gaming cloud services with ultra low latency? Even if they got the headset right you would still need to plumb it into a PC to challenge the best and have the software to back it up.

I think far more likely is an AR solution closer to Google Glass or something where you can consume media TV shows etc... They will imho do their own thing and then rollout the marketing machine to present it as the best thing eva.

Soldato
I honestly don't see how that will be possible, is Apple going to develop games for the App Store competing against HL Alyx, are they going to tether it to a Mac with Pro AMD GPUs or establish a gaming cloud services with ultra low latency? Even if they got the headset right you would still need to plumb it into a PC to challenge the best and have the software to back it up.

I think far more likely is an AR solution closer to Google Glass or something where you can consume media TV shows etc... They will imho do their own thing and then rollout the marketing machine to present it as the best thing eva.

Did you not read my post? I said "IF they are serious about VR" If as you say, their focus is AR, that means they might not even produce a VR headset or any VR headset they release will be an after thought.

If, on the other hand, VR is their priority, then Apple will do what Apple do best. Make a very compelling product that's easy to use. I don't know why you think this would be so impossible? It would be pretty simple to use as a VR headset that connects to a PC or MAC, just a decoder and a display. As a standalone headset it would only use the Apple Store. There would be no shortage of Developers, and it wouldn't be too onerous a task for developers of games like Beat Saber etc. to port their games across to the Apple Store.

Associate
serious about VR.. pah.. i can see them releasing a vr headset, then maybe a year later make the devices slower so you have to buy their newer vr headset should they release a newer revision

Soldato
Apples new devices end up in leaks years ahead of launch

I wouldn't be surprised if apples headset doesn't come out for another 3 years

Associate
Apples new devices end up in leaks years ahead of launch

I wouldn't be surprised if apples headset doesn't come out for another 3 years

introducing top quality features to make it more attractive.. even though these features existed in vr headsets 3 years ago

Caporegime
Well latest rumours are the first high end ones will be out next year with augmented reality and might have 3,000 dpi screens. Models will range in price from$1000 to $5000. SO yeah, if true, Apple arent going for the cheap end of the market

Associate
Well latest rumours are the first high end ones will be out next year with augmented reality and might have 3,000 dpi screens. Models will range in price from$1000 to $5000. SO yeah, if true, Apple arent going for the cheap end of the market
Jeez cheapest is the same as the index.......that's apple for ya

Caporegime
The thing is you know Apple's will be best of the best and will be a slick product, its just the price we will all not be happy about although we will all want one.

Back
Top Bottom