Apple Warranty Question

Soldato
I am planning on buying a MBP in Australia. I just got off the phone to the salesperson ( I prefer buying via telephone as you always get a bit of a discount), however the salesperson told me that if I dont buy Applecare, then the warranty is only going to be valid within the country of purchase.
Im sure Ive read somewhere that the Apple warranty is worldwide. Can anyone confirm this?

Another thing that annoyed me was that I have to pay through an Australian bank account/credit card or Apple will not process the order. I planned on paying via my UK account as I get paid in £ :mad: So many stupid rules and clauses when buying an Apple!!

Soldato
Just to clarify things here.

Someone bought an iPad in Texas, USA. Brought it back to South Africa. When it stopped charging - we took it to the local iStore only to be informed that warranty is only valid in Texas or USA.

How does this differ from other Apple products then?

Soldato
The Apple site is quite clear on Worldwide warranty:

If the product is portable, meaning that it can operate independently without a power cord, you may obtain warranty service worldwide. However, service will be limited to the options available in the country where service is requested. If the product is not portable, warranty service may be restricted to the country where the product is purchased.

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/uk/Images/worldwidewarranty.html

I couldn't find anything that suggests these terms have changed.

Soldato
That's the standard terms for warranty in each country and it doesn't state warranty is limited to country of purchase.

Commissario
Just to clarify things here.

Someone bought an iPad in Texas, USA. Brought it back to South Africa. When it stopped charging - we took it to the local iStore only to be informed that warranty is only valid in Texas or USA.

How does this differ from other Apple products then?

That doesn't make sense. My original iPad was bought in the USA before they went on sale in the UK. I took it into the Apple store at Lakeside when it was 10 months old with a fault and they swapped it out, no questions or problems. They didn't even ask where it was purchased.

Associate
Was it a 3G iPad? We weren't able to service iPhones that were purchased outside of the UK (aside from a period where this ban was lifted), so it might have fallen under that. However, I quit my job as a Genius just before the first iPad was released so I can't confirm.

Back
Top Bottom