AppleCare+ for Mac...thoughts?

Commissario
So what do folk reckon?
Mac Pro - Replaced PSU.
Mac mini - Replaced logic board.
iMac i7 - Replaced optical drive.
iMac i5 - Replaced optical drive.
My MacBook has had a new screen due to a dead pixel but that was within the first year and a new keyboard which was later included in the repair programme and would have been covered anyway.
iMac (2017) - It has an intermittent wobbly fan which I need to get booked in and will do once I am able to record it as it's very intermittent.

Yeah, I'd always get it.

Soldato
So what do folk reckon? Is Applecare worth £200 as it seems quite expensive for what sounds like basically accidental damage insurance cover? I'm assuming if you have any hardware faults on a laptop costing £1000+ you'd be able to get it fixed free under warranty for at least a couple of years any under EU law? I noticed when ordering on the website it states the following :-

"AppleCare+ benefits are separate from a consumer’s right to a free-of-charge repair or replacement, by the seller, of goods that do not conform with the contract of sale. Under English law, consumers have up to six years from the date of delivery to exercise their rights; however, various factors may affect your eligibility to receive these remedies. For more details, click here."

To me that implies most hardware faults would have to be fixed for free within the first couple of years anyway? I believe John Lewis offer 2 years 'warranty' on products though it sounds like that's actually what they might be obliged to by law anyway!

Also, does Applecare come with any kind of guaranteed turn around time on replacements/repairs or do they provide loan devices? That's the only way I could see it being worth the £200 cost?
Apple are cracking down on the consumer law thing.
Remember to be eligible it must’ve been purchased from apple, not elsewhere.
Also it’s at the technicians discretion in the 12-24 Month bracket, and any damage (anywhere!) will invalidate the claim instantly.
After 24 months it’s up to you to prove that the fault was present from the factory, as the law assumes if it was you would’ve reported it within the first three months.

Back
Top Bottom