Apply for a L2 position...

Soldato
hey guys I'm a sys admin cross platform(linux + windows) been doing job for about 15 months
there's a position available for me to go from L1 to L2.

I feel it is time for apply now having been watching people apply lots of times before.
Obviously money is a factor but not everything and I'm not so great with written words but any chance someone could help me with writing out few lins for this:

*Why I am are applying

*What I feel differentiates an L1 from an L2

*Why I feel I would be suited to the role.

I see number 1 and 3 could tie in together.

any help appreciated

thanks

psd99

Soldato
to be honest its a bit hard for us to really help you as you must know why you are applying ? If you don't then why are you applying ?

You generally need to talk about improving yourself, your motivations wanting to build a solid career in the industry etc. Main difference between L1 and L2 is that L2 requires you to have a lot more in depth technical knowledge specific to the platforms you are supporting.

Soldato
OP
no it isn't team leader

tbh the job will be the same - like most level 2 do the same work
the only thing that might change is more advances stuff - but it is minimal

also perhaps the team come to you more - but they already do this.

Soldato
*Why I am are applying - I want more cash

*What I feel differentiates an L1 from an L2 - 1

*Why I feel I would be suited to the role. - I know more than all the other bumb %^&£'s who work for this company

Soldato
OP
hey guys

2nd time around hopefully this time I will get it!

I need to write a covering letter - I've got examples of the work I done.

any advice on writing the letter please?

Soldato
I would basically try and match up the work that you are currently doing, with that which a L2 does. If you fall short, this is the key time to confirm that you are interested in progressing to this level of work, and want to increase your skillset.
With a lot of these moves, it is not necessarily the skills you have at the point of application, but the desire you show to learn and work hard to obtain them once you have moved into your new role.

Best of luck

Soldato
OP
thanks

what about the layout of the letter

basically the job I do now is that of level 2 - meaning I already do level 2 work which is great because I can write this into this letter. but not so sure on composition and who it is addressed to

also got to sort me cv out gosh been years

Soldato
I don't want to sound harsh, it's a forum so you could be completley different in real life, but seriously check the grammar and spelling. Don't rush it as it makes a World of difference.

It's very hard for anyone, other than the person in the role, to answer the questions as we don't have the same experience. Be honest and take time to think about what you do. Saying you are already familiar with the work and enjoy it would be a good start.

M.

Soldato
OP
just looking at my cv now wow been years since I updated this check this out:

Experienced and proficient user of Windows XP, Microsoft office, Internet and Simple Web Designing. Good understanding of networking computers. Experienced in computer building and design. Very good typing skills.

wow amazing how far I have come from that time!

Soldato
My knowledge of IT support is dreadful.

There was me thinking that L1 was the best support grade, and L3 the worse graded/paid role.

/dunce

Soldato
[FnG]magnolia;21122661 said:
Even though I have no professional interest in this, could someone explain what the L1, L2 and L3 positions mean?

1st/2nd/3rd line support

1st line = people who know nothing and just answer the phones and raise tickets for 2nd line to deal with

2nd line = people who know a little but anything remotely complicated goes to 3rd line

3rd line = generally bluff their way through using trial and error to make themselves look more technically competent than L1 or 2.

Back
Top Bottom