aquagratix 7970, doesn't fit my msi reference 7970

Associate
Struck a problem in my watercooling build.

i bought a aquacomputer aquagratix 7970 waterblock for my msi 7970 graphics card. can't remember the exact model but it has the stock reference cooler and it's not an overclocked model. ocuk no longer stock the model i bought.

when i came to fit the block it wouldn't seat down properly at one and and now i can see that it is hitting one of the cylindrical capacitors? that are in a long line at one end of the card. one of the caps is thinner and taller than the rest and it's fouling the block. has anyone else come across this problem before? the bit that it's hitting is part of the cover, and i see no reason why i wouldn't be able to drill it to allow the cap to poke through.
not aesthetically pleasing but would get the job done.

looking for a bit of guidance.

may try and get pics, but not easy cos doing this at work.

cheers for any help

Soldato
Looks like your only safe option is to return the block and grab an ek csq block.

I'll have to check this before I buy blocks for my msi ref cards.

Associate
OP
i will probably drill a hole in the plate where it hits the cap to allow it to poke through. there is no water channel behind it, it's just where the top plate spans across it.

loath to do it cos it will ruin the looks, but i bought these blocks 2 months ago, and i don't think i can return them now.

Associate
OP
later today i will trial fit th block without the cover on and see how far it sticks through, then i will think again about my options. don't think i will send the block back, esp as it's more the fault of the card not being full reference.

i haven't ruled out desoldering the cap and putting it back laying on it's side, where i think it can fit.

Soldato
Drilling would be a better option then voiding the warranty imo, at least if drilling go's wrong you're only out of pocket ~£80.

should be easy enough to mark up for drilling.

Associate
OP
i ended up drilling the plate. a 6mm hole was big enough, but i had to go all the way through in the end. the cap doesn't quite poke through the top so i am gonna put a sticker over the hole and no one will ever know.

you won't tell will you? :)

Associate
OP
just to finish this thread off i have a pic of the modded waterblock cover

i have a sticker to put over the hole, but it came out ok without, apart from when the drill slipped

Back
Top Bottom