Arctic Freezer III now available.....

Soldato
I still remain unimpressed. I think they shot themselves in the foot with the frame that doesnt perform as good as other alternatives and they had all the control over the design to make it happen.

I admit i would have gone with a different brand after seeing reviews where the frame is not that good with intel CPU's, But at the low £85 deal price for the RGB 420mm AIO i couldn't resist trying it at that price

Last edited:
Associate
I admit i would have gone with a different brand after seeing reviews where the frame is not that good with intel CPU's, But at the low £85 deal price for the RGB 420mm AIO i couldn't resist trying it at that price
I think what I am most surprised about is they made it only work with their frame and you don't even get another option.

Soldato
OP
@chaparral it looks good. Apart from undervolting did you also try limiting the power draw to the Intel specs? My 14700k is limited to 253w. That and the undervolt makes a difference.
Then again it was only benchmarks or stress testing that would be a concern, not typical use.
Not sure how different that would be with a 14900k.?

Soldato
@chaparral it looks good. Apart from undervolting did you also try limiting the power draw to the Intel specs? My 14700k is limited to 253w. That and the undervolt makes a difference.
Then again it was only benchmarks or stress testing that would be a concern, not typical use.
Not sure how different that would be with a 14900k.?

Yes i did have a little play with the power draws as well, I did notice the default power draw for boosting for 96 seconds was set at unlimited power :eek:
But on the few tests of limiting the power draw i also noticed it lowered the clock speeds the more i limited the power draw the lower the clock speeds went

If i remember right i still kept the high clock speeds when i under volted. Am going have a good long play around with this once am totally finished setting everything up.

In the games i tried so far my cpu temps are normally somewhere between 40c to 60c

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
@chaparral Both of my power limits, Gigabyte BIOS, were set to unlimited also. My 14700k is around -0.07v or so undervolted. I tried to not get too hung up about hitting the higher temps, providing the noted settings were made, and the fitting of the 420mm AIO was done ok. The higher temps were only noted in CB R23 etc.
Point taken on lowering the power limits, assuming the 14900k is still boosting as it should, meaning limitations will be applied depending on cores used etc.....
Both limiting the power draw, well not really limiting but setting it to the max that Intel state, and undervolting and, like you noted with temps when gaming, it seems fine for me when using the CPU as I need to.

Not typical for all games, butt the one I'm playing most seems to be around.......

usage.png

so not much in the way of heat generated when playing games, at least that one.

Last edited:
Soldato
I keep thinking if i should change my 420mm AIO rad from the front intake to the roof as exhaust
But then i think with it setup that way i would be pumping around 500watts of heat from the 4090 through it

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Are you happy enough with the way the pipes are positioned, up against the GPU..? I would have tried pipes at the top, if that fits..? But then again I very much prefer the 420mm I fitted in the roof, I just assumed you did not have room for it there.
Perhaps I'm wrong here, and only have a vague recollection, but isn't the optimal placing for these is to be top mounted, not just for the water / air levels but also they seem to run cooler up top than front mounted..?

Soldato
Are you happy enough with the way the pipes are positioned, up against the GPU..? I would have tried pipes at the top, if that fits..? But then again I very much prefer the 420mm I fitted in the roof, I just assumed you did not have room for it there.
Perhaps I'm wrong here, and only have a vague recollection, but isn't the optimal placing for these is to be top mounted, not just for the water / air levels but also they seem to run cooler up top than front mounted..?

I think it a case of you choose if top mounted then the GPU will run cooler if front mounted then the CPU will run cooler

Think i can fit the 420mm in the roof if i mod my case a little bit, I would need to cut out a thin strip of metal from the rear top side of the case as the rad is around 5mm to long
Can't believe Phanteks didn't make this case about 15mm longer so you could fit a 420mm striaght in the roof without needing to mod it

Having the pipes at the bottom when front mounted is meant to be much better as it won't draw air into the pump.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I saw a couple of vids online to say that as long as the top of the radiator, if front mounted, is higher than the pump it does not matter if pipes are at the bottom or the top. The header tank, as it would be if front mounted, would collect the air that builds up and not the pump. At least that was noted, altho I would have thought pipes down was the thing to do.

This was one of them...

Yeah, so annoying for you that they did not anticipate making such a small change to increase flexibility..! Dremel is your friend, lol.

Soldato
I've just bought the non RGB 420 I already own the 360 and have been so impressed with it. It's so quiet and most times I can barely hear it at all. Was wondering is it true the 420 is even quieter with bigger 140mm fans. Temps are great too of course. The noise from my other pc is doing my head in I'm sure it's the silent Assassin 2 fans and my pwm akasa case fans, but hopefully this will help a lot.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Jimbo Are you controlling all the fans individually.?
It can be a very quiet cooler, in typical use.
Just using the one cable the same as I did with my 360. I didn't even set a fan curve as I'm happy the way it is. So I bought this for my PC number 2 which has a 5800X3D and my PC number 1 is currently using the 360 on a 7800X3D. I was thinking swap them around but I may just use this on number 2 even though it's a bit of overkill? Somewhere down the line I could tinker with individual fans however.

Soldato
Really should have done a bit more research because it turns out my NZXT H7 flow case won't take the 420. So I'll have to take the 360 from my main pc a phanteks p600s which was top mounted and put in the H7 then put the 420 in the P600s and front mount it. A pain but not the end of the world. I'm assuming if the pump barbs stretch it should be barbs at bottom not the top, right?

Last edited:
Associate
i have no major complaints from my 360 , tweaked the settings to make my cpu run intel specs not crazy unlimited mode my mobo sat on it and i am happy its cool enough and quiet :) and for 70 odd quid i cant moan

Associate
i have no major complaints from my 360 , tweaked the settings to make my cpu run intel specs not crazy unlimited mode my mobo sat on it and i am happy its cool enough and quiet :) and for 70 odd quid i cant moan
I am using the 360mm with a 14900k too. I did have one core getting hotter but remounted it and all is fine now. As you mention, I use the 253w settings temps are fine

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom