Arduino

Soldato
arduinoclockbattery.jpg

arduinoclockcrystaltime.jpg

timers.jpg

circuitg.jpg

Bored playing with flashing LEDs in sequence so I've put together the clock circuit. Really hope my LED panels arrive tomorrow :(

Associate
Not sure what I've done to my Arduino. Program still runs to drive a stepper motor/driver. Was being picked up by the PC before to put on new sketches. However after connecting the stepper driver the PC will no longer recognize the Arduino Uno.

Soldato
Not sure what I've done to my Arduino. Program still runs to drive a stepper motor/driver. Was being picked up by the PC before to put on new sketches. However after connecting the stepper driver the PC will no longer recognize the Arduino Uno.

I don't have any experience with the Uno, what kind of USB driver does it use? The Pro versions I am using need a Silicon Labs serial driver (serial over USB, CP2102 driver chip), perhaps you could uninstall it and download a fresh driver? Other than that I have no idea :(

Soldato
I'm going to try out an UNO soon, hopefully I shouldn't have any driver issues. I'm guessing everyone here is using windows as their development os or are there any Linux or osx users here?

I have access to all 3 OS' and was wondering which one to use :)
Panels arrived! The quality of the packaging and PCB is something else. The boxes look like the sort you'd expect of a high end phone :D

sure electronics do make some pretty good stuff, I've got a few of their T-amps and even tho I've swapped a few parts they are performing really well even though I bought them years ago. They also arrived in some rather fetching boxes :D

Associate
I don't have any experience with the Uno, what kind of USB driver does it use? The Pro versions I am using need a Silicon Labs serial driver (serial over USB, CP2102 driver chip), perhaps you could uninstall it and download a fresh driver? Other than that I have no idea :(

Uses Atmega16U2 programmed as a USB-to-serial converter. Tried uninstalling, but when I go to reinstall it says driver already up to date. Tried many usb cables and on different PCs. Might just order a new board.

I'm going to try out an UNO soon, hopefully I shouldn't have any driver issues. I'm guessing everyone here is using windows as their development os or are there any Linux or osx users here?

I've used it on Windows 7, vista and xp. Driver was okay (well for a while). Just download Arduino 1.0 from their site. Plug in the board via USB, then go to device manager, click install, browse to the drivers folder in the downloaded Arduino 1.0 and away you go.

Soldato
Uses Atmega16U2 programmed as a USB-to-serial converter. Tried uninstalling, but when I go to reinstall it says driver already up to date. Tried many usb cables and on different PCs. Might just order a new board.

Daft one I know, but I'm tired and I just noobed myself (again) trying to upload a sketch just now on a different PC - have you set the correct com port in the Arduino IDE? On my PCs it defaults to com 3, while the USB serial driver is com 4 :o

Associate
Daft one I know, but I'm tired and I just noobed myself (again) trying to upload a sketch just now on a different PC - have you set the correct com port in the Arduino IDE? On my PCs it defaults to com 3, while the USB serial driver is com 4 :o

For some reason serial port option is greyed out in arduino and for me is com 3. Didn't use to be greyed out. Is it normally greyed out if no board (or working board in my case maybe) is plugged in?

Soldato
:D

Got all the bits together

5vpsu.jpg

The original creator of this clock powered the panels from his Arduino Duemilanove directly, having perused the specs of the Sure 2416 panels it would be touch and go powering from the Pro Mini. Probably very possible, but touch and go and I'd rather not burn out one to find out so I threw together a voltage regulator circuit for the 5v supply and powered it all from one of those 12v supplies you get with routers etc.

The PSU is very simple, just a 7805 voltage regulator and two 100uF capacitors to smooth the output. Fully loaded its putting out a solid 4.93v, well within reason

wirings.jpg

Here's the circuit, it looks worse than it is due to using jumper wires, I'll tidy it up with custom cables on perfboard soon

timeni.jpg

\o/

wedkc.jpg

wed28march.jpg

Nick's code has some great modes, jumble being my fave. Got some ideas for another mode and more customisation of the circuit.

Soldato
Got a few more bits done, painted some perfboard satin black on the bare side, cut to size and mounted the circuit on it. Looks well IMO

12800639.jpg

45235559.jpg

52558864.jpg

Also rerouted the power to the panels via the ribbon cable so the red and black wire hanging off are redundant

:p

90132256.jpg

53353710.jpg

I've been tinkering with the code and more often than not breaking it :D Anyone on here good with Arduino IDE?

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Looks good mate but back of your board is well messy! Woudn't veroboard have worked better or even etch one yourself... can be done for less than £10 these days...

This is what I've been working on...

img20120408152125.jpg

Just testing with one temp sensor right now and the onboard LED on Pin13, by the end of it I'll have two temp sensors independently opening and closing two electronic ball valves to let the flow of glycol cool down the fermenters or turn on the heating coils to warm up the fermenters.

Once I have the thermostat side of things working and cleaned up my code (Fix some bugs and added debouncing) I'll be working on the level sensor to turn a pump on and off for the under back.

The two fermenters are on the right which will have the temp senors going into their thermowells. The back of the fermenters have a cooler jacket which the glycol flows into which you can't see from this photo. The heating coils will go round the bottom.

All the vessels are going to be glad like the one in the photo already done (That's the kettle!)

img20120406165739.jpg

Soldato
The back of the perfboard can be as messy as it likes :p it's going to be hidden by the casing anyway and I've filled a lot of the joins with hot glue. Bodge ftw! What ya brewing Zaf?

Edit: I've plenty of stripboard/veroboard but this project doesn't share many common rails (aside from gnd / 5v)

Last edited:

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
The back of the perfboard can be as messy as it likes :p it's going to be hidden by the casing anyway and I've filled a lot of the joins with hot glue. Bodge ftw! What ya brewing Zaf?

Edit: I've plenty of stripboard/veroboard but this project doesn't share many common rails (aside from gnd / 5v)

It's a Real Ale Micro Brewery going to have two brews a light 3.6/3.8% session beer and then a stronger 4.2/4.6% I reckon... but I guess these will change depending on the demand from the pubs.

It's my dad's retirement project to keep him busy

Back
Top Bottom