Are All Used Cars A Horror Bag Money Pit ?

Soldato
I'm sorry you have no sense of humour.
Its always the most mundane looking threads that delivery :cry:

On topic, a good service history is the best place to start, if its had regular oil changes etc, theres less chance it’ll implode but its not a guarantee. It’s just the roulette of buying used, things break over time and need fixed. As a rule, don’t touch premium brand cars with crap spec, big wheels and aftermarket tints.

Associate
OP
Had a look on the Aston Barclay and BCA auction sites today.
Car make/models that I am interested in are going through at prices either side of CAP Clean with service history, some still under manufacturers original warranty. There seems to be enough saving over retail price to provide a cushion in the event of things going wrong? Could be an option?

Caporegime
Not at all. I have a 2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe bought in June 2021. Other than general maintenance, tyres, servicing etc it hasn't gone wrong at all. Even two MOT tests have been passed without even an advisory.

It's not been particularly cheap, mainly due to my servicing schedule (once a year oil changes regardless of what the OBC says) Brake pads all round last year and 4 new Michelin tyres but it hasn't set a foot wrong. You have to buy right and buy well.
Another 12 months MOT in the bag with not even an advisory.

Soldato
Three things: condition, mileage. age. High mileage and especially age usually means trouble. Condition can be an indicator of whether its been looked after but take a look under the bonnet or underneath as it might just have been valeted for the sale. Private or main dealer avoid backstreet Honest John's Motors like the plague they're bought at auction and the warranty isn't worth the paper its printed on. I've had good cars from private and also main which cost more but do have a warranty that can be relied on. All cars will cost you an arm and a leg in the long term one way or another you're paying for the convenience.

Soldato
The scrappage scheme killed off a lot of old, nice cars apparently.

COVID issues with chips and free money have caused the second hand prices to rocket.

I don't think it's as easy to find good value, reliable, interesting cars as it once was.

Soldato
I'm dreading having to buy an iPad with a steering wheel.

Especially when said iPad breaks, I heard it's $10k to replace the iPad in a Tesla and half the cars features don't work if the iPad breaks

**** that crap give me physical buttons

Last edited:
Suspended
Especially when said iPad breaks, I heard it's $10k to replace the iPad in a Tesla and half the cars features don't work if the iPad breaks

Not only that but with the rate tech is progressing, those ipads will be antique before you know it, and you can bet your bottom dollar that the manufacturers won't be stocking spares for very long.

Bood business idea actually, create kits for these things to keep cars relevant rather than them being the borderline disposable items they are becoming.

Soldato

At some point they won't even be fixable. They will stop making them for older models. Who would have thought in the future you'd end up scrapping a car because the radio broke :D

Last edited:
Suspended
Although I am wholly, 100% behind going EV, I do dread having to move to one of these disposable bits of electronics. Seems like a major issue already how expensive and difficult repairs are.

My 2012 avensis is as much electronics as I want in a car, where I'm able to take the display out and replace with an aftermarket unit and do all the wiring easily enough myself. Pretty sure in most 2020+ cars that's impossible these days with all the electronic integration.

I guess the only saving grace of modern stuff is that they're increasingly a very small number of chassis platforms just with different bodies bolted on which should help with repairability and parts, although that's probably wishful thinking.

Back
Top Bottom