Are cars getting too fast?

Soldato
Young lads killing themselves shortly after turning 17 is why you can’t have a 250cc motorcycle on L plates anymore.

Always thought that was slight unfair given that lads with deep pockets (or parents with same) could put themselves in a hot hatch at 17 on L plates if they had a mate with a full licence riding shotgun.

I had a (second hand) 250cc Suzuki super six at eighteen on L plates. Went like **** off a shovel. Rather quick.

Soldato
Young lads killing themselves shortly after turning 17 is why you can’t have a 250cc motorcycle on L plates anymore.

Always thought that was slight unfair given that lads with deep pockets (or parents with same) could put themselves in a hot hatch at 17 on L plates if they had a mate with a full licence riding shotgun.

My mate had a kawasaki GPZ1100r at 16 back in the mid 80's (I myself had an X7 250cc , MTX200 and DR400 at 16 )

The bike laws here have changed a lot over the years and i think you can only have a 125cc at 16 now.

Back in the 80's you could have an unlimited cc bike at age of 16 without doing any CBT or tests, just buy a bike put L plates on it and get insurance & provisional bike licence and then jump on an ride :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
I can easily imagine we'll see more "regular" people (i.e. those who wouldn't normally drive like they stole it) gradually taking more risks once they know they've got instant torque and acceleration available compared to whatever ICE manual family car they had before. Dangerous overtakes and running amber/red lights could become far more common than they already are simply because the only user input required is to plant your foot.

I had a bit of trouble a couple of months ago at a roundabout. Admittedly, I was technically in the wrong lane. Although it's often used to do what I did. 3 lanes onto the roundabout from a single lane road. Ahead is another single lane. 1st and 3rd exits are for the a carriageway. So the first 2 lanes approaching the roundabout are for turning left on the dual carriageway and the righthand lane is for straight on and turning right. This is only painted on the floor, so lots of people use the middle lane for straight-on too, which is normal really. If there's a queue you can't see the lane directions, which is one reason why people use the middle lane to go straight on. The other is that there's often a queue in the right lane, it's the slowest lane and buses use it to go straight on.

I pulled up next to a little car, looking like one of those of 1000cc Nissan/Kia things in my 3L BMW. I floored it in order to make sure I wasn't getting in anyone's way, like the little car and the anyone that might be turning right off the dual carriageway.

Turns out the little car was an EV and beat me around the roundabout meaning I had to swerve and basically stop in front of traffic coming from my left. I get that technically I was in the wrong lane and was queue jumping but there was no need for him to do that. Was totally unexpected and dangerous.

Commissario
I get that technically I was in the wrong lane and was queue jumping but there was no need for him to do that. Was totally unexpected and dangerous.
No need for him to do what he was totally allowed to do and within his rights to do?

I floored it in order to make sure I wasn't getting in anyone's way
Perhaps he floored it to make sure he wasn’t getting in anyone’s way. And he was in the correct lane ;)

Don
My mate had a kawasaki GPZ1100r at 16 back in the mid 80's (I myself had an X7 250cc , MTX200 and DR400 at 16 )

The bike laws here have changed a lot over the years and i think you can only have a 125cc at 16 now.

Back in the 80's you could have an unlimited cc bike at age of 16 without doing any CBT or tests, just buy a bike put L plates on it and get insurance & provisional bike licence and then jump on an ride :eek:
This was never the case.

16 has been a 50cc limit back to 1971. Prior to that, it was 250cc.
17 was 250cc from 1971 with L plates and no test, but they dropped it to 125cc (mainly because of the RD250LC and others) in the late 80s and then brought in the CBT in the early 90s.

If your mate had a GPz1100 at 16 then he was very illegal. At no point could he have had that bike without a full motorcycle license.

Last edited:
Soldato
EV's need to all be limited to the new EU directive of 112mph max speed! They are way too quick & heavy which for the average driver is a disaster waiting to happen :(

Soldato
Maybe it was different in the Channel Islands?
And it still a bit different these days as at 14 you can ride a 50cc motorbike
which was a 100cc at 14 back in the 1980's as i had a KM100 at 14 in 1984 and RXS100 at 15 in 1985

I think in jersey you need to be 16 years old for a 50cc, But am not 100% sure as it only what i heard

Last edited:
Caporegime
Or perhaps crash through a wooden fence into a school and kill two children? I know, not an EV and the driver had a medical issue but a two tonne car went through that fence like it wasn't even there.

Some old bloke did this in the field next to my house a few months back. Crossed over a footpath straight through a hedge and fence. Yet again an SUV.

Soldato
This was never the case.

16 has been a 50cc limit back to 1971. Prior to that, it was 250cc.
17 was 250cc from 1971 with L plates and no test, but they dropped it to 125cc (mainly because of the RD250LC and others) in the late 80s and then brought in the CBT in the early 90s.

If your mate had a GPz1100 at 16 then he was very illegal. At no point could he have had that bike without a full motorcycle license.

IIRC you were allowed to have a bike with a sidecar up to 400cc? so some people put those little sidewinders (a wheel attached to a tea tray) on

Associate
Cars are fast it's up to the driver to be responsible with it, nothing more needs to be said really, my family car is not quite up there with that lot, only doing 12s@ quarter @112due to limited top speed but that doesn't mean the missus is firing along the road on the school run, it's just there, most of the time car barely cracks 30mph, just has, a strong engine for towing etc, that gives pace.

Let's no moan too much about it, things tend to get over regulated and taken away from us over time, cars are already too sanitised and too heavy in the name of safety etc.

Soldato
EV's need to all be limited to the new EU directive of 112mph max speed! They are way too quick & heavy which for the average driver is a disaster waiting to happen :(

Maybe, but over 60-70mph the universe maintains balance as efficiency falls off a cliff.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I’m currently on holiday in Japan.
One of the striking things I’ve noticed is the apparent difference in the politeness of their drivers.
I’ve not seen a single “traffic light drag race” or what I’d consider to be somewhat reckless driving.

I think that the UK driving standards have gone to poo.

Caporegime
I’m currently on holiday in Japan.
One of the striking things I’ve noticed is the apparent difference in the politeness of their drivers.
I’ve not seen a single “traffic light drag race” or what I’d consider to be somewhat reckless driving.

I think that the UK driving standards have gone to poo.
Or Japan is the outlier of the world?

Back
Top Bottom