are gaming laptops only meant to use Dedicated gpu when plugged in?

Soldato
so while i have a gaming laptop i have rarely used it for such ha and so trying to play fortnite few days ago only the igpu was performing whether it was plugged in or not, i did driver update and while the new layouts doesnt seem to give me the 'switchable graphics' option i have been now playing Mad Max and while ive had to get Afterburner to display both graphics, my dedicated gpu only seems to make a difference when plugged in otherwise its sluggish.

i dont know how powerful the rx560x is, but should this be of no surprise or should some gaming laptops be able to run off battery? im not always in a position to have it plugged in which is why i ask.

Associate
I know how powerful the rx560x as i have a laptop which has that very gpu.

It is about apparently the same performance of the amd 7970 it self the desktop gpu not laptop version.

I am able to play all my games with ease 30 or 60fps mostly medium upto high or ultra as i play older games.

As for me when the laptop is in battery mode i have set it to better performance and not best performance, as for when plugged in it is on best performance.

As for my laptop, it is responsive and snappy exactly like the same with my main desktop pc, i know and have experience sluggish response with other laptops though.

Sounds like you have igpu and the gpu it self, you should be able to pick what gpu to use otherwise in my experience it will do it automatically .

Dan.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom