Are soundcards worthwhile?

Associate
Or is onboard sound suitable?

I have a gaming headset, and a 2.1 suround sound speaker set. Are souncards worth the outlay (and I'm talking below the top-line Creative Sound Blaster cards).

Soldato
My soundcard is far better than the onboard (riser card in this instance) sound, and by a good long way too. If I had never tried my new soundcard I would never have realised just how poor the onboard is, but at the same time I didn't know my onboard was poor until I put the new soundcard in.

If you're happy with your current set up then you definitely don't need a sound card. If you're sat there thinking "could I possibly get better sound than what I have now?" then I'd say you have to get one just to satisfy your own curiosity if nothing else. If you do get one though, and it's a good one, you will be glad you bought it and you'll find you never go back to onboard sound again.

If you don't use your PC for that much, maybe the odd bit of music here and there, then I'd say spend your cash on something else. If you do use your PC for audio, gaming, movies, etc then definitely get one as it makes everything just that bit better. :)

Also, I'm presuming your headset and speakers are decent enough quality to actually benefit from a dedicated soundcard. Too many people have a good souncard but poor speakers so they don't really see a great deal of benefit.

If you nodded off half way through that (I might have done) then I forgive you in advance :D

Associate
I just got the Asus Xonar DG for around £25 and it made a massive difference to the sound of both music & gaming.

As soon as I used it the difference was immediately noticeable. And then when I turned on Dolby Headphone... the difference using surround sound was phenomenal. Whenever I turn off Dolby Headphone now the sound just seems so flat & cheap. It just generally makes music & games so much more immersive.

I've always been sceptical of sound cards but this has completely changed my opinion, made more of a difference to my gaming experience than pretty much every other upgrade. You might want to see the difference it makes first though, maybe if your friend has one? Only problem is, I don't feel I could ever go back, i've become too addicted to Dolby Headphone. :D

Associate
How good is the DG for gaming? I read a review saying that the 5.1 emulation doesn't really help pinpoint direction better than stereo...

I miss my 5.1 speaker setup :(

Associate
Very good, I had mine for 3 weeks. Never thought a £25 sound card would so much different.

BFBC2 is like a different game, I can tell where all the shots is coming from.

A lot of people on here is pairing up the asus xonar dg+goldring dr150 or ns1000.

Soldato
Dolby Headphone is Head Related Transfer Function (HRTF) based so the way each user experiences it will be somewhat unique. Having said that, it's the most convincing surround virtualisation system over headphones I've used.

I too am pretty much sold on it until something better becomes affordable - which is a long way off. I'd say it's worth getting a DG just to try it out.

Synergy with headphones is important. Pretty much all the full size Goldring line does the job well.

Soldato
Good Stuff. Would be interested to hear what you think of the soundcard and what differences you notice compared to your onboard audio, if you don't mind updating when it's all set up? :)

Associate
OP
Good Stuff. Would be interested to hear what you think of the soundcard and what differences you notice compared to your onboard audio, if you don't mind updating when it's all set up? :)

Yeah no snags mate.

Incidentally, I picked up "Custom PC" magazine in Tesco today, and it's reviewed the very soundcard mentioned here!! (page. 81 if anyone fancies a flick). They gave it 80% overall and the quote that excited me was:

"When it comes to games, this little soundcard did a great job of producing rich, realistic and directional environmental audio. It's an excellent gaming card, with solid bass that gives explosions the kind of reverberations we like to hear."

Soldato
Good choice on the DG. I was a skeptic to soundcards these days thb. I always thought the onboard Realtech sound processor on my last few motherboards was very good, and it is very good. The DG is just a whole lot better. I'm using mine with some cheapy Goldring DR50s at the moment. Suffice to say I am converted!

Oh yeah, just remembered! The first couple of matches of BC2 after I'd set up the DG were awesome. I guess audio kit is like hard drugs - you have to keep upping the dose to get the same "hit" :)

Back
Top Bottom