• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Are there any 5800x3d vs 7800x3d MMORPG tests? Trying to figure out the benefits

Associate
Gamers Nexus just put out the ultimate AM4 "is it worth upgrading" video answering this very question with a multitude of modern games.

Overall, whenever I decide to check fps and such, unless severe cpu bound 20 fps and 40fps is unlikly to be noticeable when gaming.
Unless we talk low fps scenarios like 60 and lower

Playing path of exile if the fps hits below 60 in 4k usually when I can tell but if it stays between 70-100fps I be hard pressed to say without a meter.
as long the game is fluid which is what x3d tech helps with its just runs well.
so I just set settings until I am able to sustain those fluid fps even with a 6700xt at 4k

Associate
OP
Gamers Nexus just put out the ultimate AM4 "is it worth upgrading" video answering this very question with a multitude of modern games.

seems like it's not as clear cut :)
Am I safe to assume that AM5 cpues running DDR5 in this text and AM4 running DDR4? I.e. when I am seeing 7800x3d doing 10% better that's WITH faster memory?

Correct.

E.g.
My basket at OcUK:

Total: £629.93 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

I'd use the same cooler: this.

AM5 does have the advantage of future CPU upgrades, so it is arguably a better investment as you can re-use the motherboard/RAM in the future.

That is very tempting, do you think I'd see a big boost compare to my current system, 8700 (non-K), RTX 3080 running @ 3440x1440?

Soldato
Who knows, they may adopt the intel change the socket just for the fun of it every refresh approach.

intel don't replace the socket that much its the chipset, just like AMD do. 1151 was a long lived socket longer than am4.
AMD just add backwords compatibility to the chipset, I would assume motherboard makers like intel more

Associate
OP
Any micro-atx mb you can recommend with wi-fi for 7800x3d? (assuming when thermaltake s100 says "up to micro-atx" it means micro-itx is supported)

I was almost ready to pull the trigger on 5800x3d because of the price difference in cpu+ddr5 memory but then "realised" (lol) I can sell my current ddr4 memory and the choice became a bit easier :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Any micro-atx mb you can recommend with wi-fi for 7800x3d? (assuming when thermaltake s100 says "up to micro-atx" it means micro-itx is supported)

I was almost ready to pull the trigger on 5800x3d because of the price difference in cpu+ddr5 memory but then "realised" (lol) I can sell my current ddr4 memory and the choice became a bit easier :D
Just done a matx build last month with a 7800x3d and 7900xtx. I have the Asus tuf b650 WiFi. Good board, make sure to update to latest bios.

Associate
intel don't replace the socket that much its the chipset, just like AMD do. 1151 was a long lived socket longer than am4.
AMD just add backwords compatibility to the chipset, I would assume motherboard makers like intel more
Well that's not true 1151 was around 5 years if you are being generous, except it wasn't really because Rev 2 was really a new socket with the same name. so 2 generations of CPU and then 1. AM4 Was 6 years and 4 generations of CPU.

Soldato
Well that's not true 1151 was around 5 years if you are being generous, except it wasn't really because Rev 2 was really a new socket with the same name. so 2 generations of CPU and then 1. AM4 Was 6 years and 4 generations of CPU.

that both did 4 gens, but yes it was only 5 years i ryzen came out a lot latter, i didn't realize how long it had been going for now

Associate
that both did 4 gens, but yes it was only 5 years i ryzen came out a lot latter, i didn't realize how long it had been going for now
Nope, 1151 rev 1 was Skylake and Kaby Lake. 1151 rev 2 basically a new socket because there was no compatibility either way was just coffee lake.

if you were being harsh you COULD say they were really all the same gen CPU too if you were being really harsh of course ;)

Soldato
Nope, 1151 rev 1 was Skylake and Kaby Lake. 1151 rev 2 basically a new socket because there was no compatibility either way was just coffee lake.

if you were being harsh you COULD say they were really all the same gen CPU too if you were being really harsh of course ;)

I agree that even 10th and 11th are the same

Man of Honour

Any of the least expensive B650 boards that OCUK have in stock right now would be fine for a 7800X3D.
That is very tempting, do you think I'd see a big boost compare to my current system, 8700 (non-K), RTX 3080 running @ 3440x1440?
I don't know anything about your usage or the games you play, so it's hard to say. If your games are CPU-limited: sure, if they're not: no.

Annoyingly, HUB didn't include the 7800X3D in these benchmarks, but you can extrapolate which games you'd expect to see gains (or no gains):

For the benchmarks, I'd assume your 8700 is somewhere between the 9600K and 9900K (it is).

Last edited:
Associate
I though I wouls weigh in, as I am almost exclusive a mmo player like wow or ff14. if you look the very few articles focusing on MMO in particular, you will notice they scale well with 3d cache, with MMos more player on screen means more fps loss, generally a scenario you will see often in a MMO. Though the "faster single core" rule holds true, that has its limits in the ff14 charts from gamers nexus for example 7800x3d is just behind 13900k despite slower clocks. ( weird that an amd console game heavily favors Intel)

I recently went from 5900x to 5800x3d, I can see 1% lows are much better in wow as an example in mass world events I have gone from 30fps ( winters grasp woltk) to 60fps plus with noticeable less micro stutter. I run at 1440p 165 hertz on 6800xt for reference.

So in my opinion unless you are going 13900k or 14900k to the brute force of fps with clocks the 3d chips are way forward for mmos in particular.

Now to original question I would go for 7800x3d it is more future proof (as much as one can be) but also higher clocks speeds + cache will help in mmos but also for games that don't care about the cache. The 5800x3d draw back is that even with pbo tuning on boards that allow it (some msi and asus) . You will likely never see an all core clock past 4.45ghz.

I hope that helps as I was in a similar situation, though 5900x is great chip, the 5800x3d was best for my mmo use case. In next few years I will sell my current parts go for 7950x3d cause why not.

Below are some sources of data, mmo players have run on there own for x3d tests. There are surprisingly few

There is a link to the chart at the top of the reddit. At it best on ff14 5800x3d is 40% increase at its worst a few percent minus.

Back
Top Bottom