Are these Diamond rings legit?

Caporegime
Surely you could get a much better ring for that price without it being diamond, I thought we'd moved on from the old only a diamond will do marketing from yesteryear.

Indeed. Wasnt it a genius marketing move to inflate the price of diamonds by making it the traditional engagement ring? In fact diamonds are so plentiful and easy to make nowadays there are no reasons for them to be precious gems and command a price above cubic zirconia if the market wasnt so highly controlled so the price is kept artificially high.

1) How would we know?
2) If you're thinking of buying £1350 diamond rings from ebay, which are oddly below expected market value, you need your head examined imho.

No offence meant. But I don't think its a good idea.

1) I didn't think it would be completely out the realm of possibility that there might be a learned individual on here that understands the certifications that it comes with, there must be plenty of people on here that have bought engagement rings over the years.

2)I just whacked a load of different rings on my watch list and a few offers came in, to be completely honest what peaked my interest was the 100% 5000+ positive feedback, I was just interested in their legitimacy.

They will be lab grown CVD diamonds. The market is awash with them esp in India. A one carat diamond at the lowest end of the clarity scale would cost only around £500. Its got £65 of gold in it plus the making of it.

So I can easily see how somebody is making a profit at £1000. One thing for sure, it was and never is worth £4,650.

At a £1000 you are paying about the right price for the cheapest diamond you can buy. Would you ever buy an S2 diamond unseen? You would be mad to do so.

It could still all be a scam though. Lots of websites selling these 1 carat rings for around the original ebay asking price.

I think you might be right, probably lab grown then, I forgot about those, that would make sense with the pricing I guess.

edit,

Maybe not, this is the 'About US' section from their website,

"Our Managing Director, Steven Grunhut, began Diamond Jewelry United as an eBay business back in 2007. A certified diamond grader and the third generation of diamond dealers in his family, he wanted to change the status quo by offering diamond jewellery at prices that would be affordable to everyone, without compromising on their quality or beauty. At DJU we do not believe in charging the 300-400% mark ups that many jewellery retailers charge.

So how can we offer these prices? Firstly, we have no middleman- we pride ourselves on manufacturing all of our jewellery in house and source many of our diamonds as rough diamonds in South Africa and polish the diamonds in-house. As an online business we also do not have the same overheads as a physical shop.

Following our success on eBay in the UK and US, we launched our our website to bring our jewellery to a wider audience. Most of our reviews are on eBay where we have sold more than 50,000 pieces of diamond jewellery with perfect feedback. We also have glowing reviews on Trust Pilot, Google and Yotpo.

We also provide excellent support and after sales service. If there is anything you want to know, at any time, simply get in touch and we will be happy to help. This of course is a service over and above the no quibble 60 day returns policy."

So you could buy it from their website rather than eBay, although to be fair eBay probably offers more protection.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Diamonds are for muppets, they aren't rare it's just a monopoly and the whole thing is just a succesful advertising campaign that brainwashed everyone anyway

Associate
Ironically I’ve got the opposite issue, got one to sell (Tiffany cut, 1.02ct, VVS2, F from memory) but don’t dare use eBay or any of the online places for fear of being conned or scammed or just generally something going wrong.

My ex kept the certification (‘lost’ it) when she gave me the ring back which hampers things somewhat too.

Think the only option I have is back to the jewellery quarter to the shop I bought it from when I have a spare half day but last time I went back was the run up to Christmas and they were only selling not buying.

The ring you described sounds too cheap at £1k (no idea as to the reason and how genuine it is) mine is a little smaller and higher graded but cost me £5.5k from memory and had a valuation for insurance at £13.5k retail. Be lucky to get £2k used though I imagine

Caporegime
1) I didn't think it would be completely out the realm of possibility that there might be a learned individual on here that understands the certifications that it comes with, there must be plenty of people on here that have bought engagement rings over the years.

2)I just whacked a load of different rings on my watch list and a few offers came in, to be completely honest what peaked my interest was the 100% 5000+ positive feedback, I was just interested in their legitimacy.

I think you might be right, probably lab grown then, I forgot about those, that would make sense with the pricing I guess.

edit,

Maybe not, this is the 'About US' section from their website,

"Our Managing Director, Steven Grunhut, began Diamond Jewelry United as an eBay business back in 2007. A certified diamond grader and the third generation of diamond dealers in his family, he wanted to change the status quo by offering diamond jewellery at prices that would be affordable to everyone, without compromising on their quality or beauty. At DJU we do not believe in charging the 300-400% mark ups that many jewellery retailers charge.

So how can we offer these prices? Firstly, we have no middleman- we pride ourselves on manufacturing all of our jewellery in house and source many of our diamonds as rough diamonds in South Africa and polish the diamonds in-house. As an online business we also do not have the same overheads as a physical shop.

Following our success on eBay in the UK and US, we launched our our website to bring our jewellery to a wider audience. Most of our reviews are on eBay where we have sold more than 50,000 pieces of diamond jewellery with perfect feedback. We also have glowing reviews on Trust Pilot, Google and Yotpo.

We also provide excellent support and after sales service. If there is anything you want to know, at any time, simply get in touch and we will be happy to help. This of course is a service over and above the no quibble 60 day returns policy."

So you could buy it from their website rather than eBay, although to be fair eBay probably offers more protection.
In which case I cant see it. A one carat natural diamond of S2 with that colour rating costs over £1000 wholesale to buy. Why on earth would you sell them for £1000 as a ring on Ebay? You could just sell all your diamonds wholesale at £1000+

In which case I cant see it. A one carat natural diamond of S2 with that colour rating costs over £1000 wholesale to buy. Why on earth would you sell them for £1000 as a ring on Ebay? You could just sell all your diamonds wholesale at £1000+
What your saying makes sense, but how come the company is rated so highly on eBay, Google, trust pilot etc? Where's the catch here?

Caporegime
What your saying makes sense, but how come the company is rated so highly on eBay, Google, trust pilot etc? Where's the catch here?

Well you get a diamond. They might be lying about them not being manufacturered ones, is any buyer going to be able to tell the difference? At the end of the day, if you are ordering the lowest quality 1 carat diamond and you get the lowest quality 1 carat diamond, what is there to complain about?

Back
Top Bottom