Are these temps alright?

Associate
Hey,

So I've recently been worried about my temps, noticing that they seem quite high, and not being sure how long this has been the case.

I came home tonight, to my computer idling all day, to find my GPU temp at 35c and CPU temp at 40c

After using the computer for a bit, the CPU temp was averaging 45c (NetFlix, installations, etc.)

After running several benchmarks (Unigine Heaven, Metro 2033) the maximum recorded temps during the entire benchmarking were 85c on the GPU and 85c on the CPU.

After closing the benchmarks, the CPU temp was back to averaging 45c.

Are these temps alright? 85c sounds will within spec for the GPU, but I'm curious about the CPU.

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Associate
temps are fine for stock air cooling. you could think about improving the airflow into your case

the max temp is i think 100c for those chips then they will start to downclock anyway. (3570k)

Associate
Those temperatures sounds ok for air coolers. As mentioned by archerz the CPU will throttle itself before it starts getting damaged.

Associate
As others have said the temps are fine.

Until it starts to throttle you've nothing to worry about and try not to get obsessed by your PC's temps or you'll end up like me spending a small fortune on watercooling kit just to get the temps down when there's there's really nothing to worry about in the first place.

Soldato
I'm with you Cythx, whiile temps are not extreme to many users, I prefer to keep mine about 20c lower at peak load.

As this is not the system in your sig, what exactly is it?

Associate
OP
I started my computer up this morning and the temps now show

After idling for 10 minutes : 33 GPU 35-40 CPU
After running my heaviest benchmark for 5 minutes : 85 GPU 75 CPU
After idling for 10 minutes after benchmarking, temps went back down to 33 / 35-40.

Considering it's a stock cooler, I'm pretty happy with these temps. Won't be getting an aftermarket cooler.

Maybe just some case quieter case fans.

Thanks Mikey, I'll try not to get too obsessive :p I was a bit obsessed a few years back and probably ended up spending hours just to get temps down a degrees or two!

Soldato
I started my computer up this morning and the temps now show

After idling for 10 minutes : 33 GPU 35-40 CPU
After running my heaviest benchmark for 5 minutes : 85 GPU 75 CPU
After idling for 10 minutes after benchmarking, temps went back down to 33 / 35-40.

Considering it's a stock cooler, I'm pretty happy with these temps. Won't be getting an aftermarket cooler.

Maybe just some case quieter case fans.

Thanks Mikey, I'll try not to get too obsessive :p I was a bit obsessed a few years back and probably ended up spending hours just to get temps down a degrees or two!
Much better!

That's not obsessive, it's just having fun. :D

Gunna update my sig, Doyll, one sec.
None of my systems run above 65c under stress loads and fans never spin above 1100rpm, even in the hottest weather. Normal weather the are 950-1000rpm at full load.

Associate
OP
Pretty impressive, Doyll. Especially for the i7 980!

I currently don't have the time or money to be so enthusiastic about my hardware... but I'm about to finish my masters and have a bit of cash, so I'm feeling like getting back into things :)

Soldato
That's only one. I also have a 980X At 4.5GZz, a 920 @ 4.2GHz and 6700K .. all running on air. To me CLC is a dirty word .. very dirty word!

I do understand the problem of GPU heat when running more than one GPU, but there are good cooling singles, a few nice aftermarket GPU coolers and definitely plenty og good CPU air coolers out there. Problem with GPU is all the quick and dirty liquid cooling for GPU are dirty word coolers. :D

I was curious about CLC vs component so just for the hell of it I weighted an Asetek 280 clc with everything but fans and a basic thin low cost 280mm component radiator. Just the dry radiator with no fittings or anything .. their weight is within a couple grams of each other. A complete 'liquid cooling system' that doesn't weight any more than a bare, dry low end component radiator!

Back
Top Bottom