Are wirless mouse OK for non competitive gaming?

Soldato
I ask because the new Logitech powerplay mouse and mousemat at Computex (where the mat charges the mouse) got me excited. For me the main drawback of the wireless mouse was loosing battery power at the wrong moment, and fairly often to boot. But this could be a winner as I wouldnt even have to think about charging it.

I'm just checking because I seem to remember reading somewhere that wireless mouse weren't suitable for gaming because of lag? Or is this just "hyper" gamers crying? The same lot that swear you can't game at less than 144Hz? Will it be fine for me a casual gamer? Is it noticeable?

EDIT: It was corsair mouse being shown at computex. But logitech is same idea.

Last edited:
Soldato
IIRC, the Logitechs have back up cables. In any case, if we're speaking casual, keep a wired mouse handy (who doesn't have two mice?). The new Logitechs have really good wireless functionality. And yes, crap wireless will add lag. Godlike (Pro Gamer) reaction times are around 100 - 150 ms, all factored in. So an extra 1ms here and there, that will not factor in with good technology.

For me, the main drawback nowadays is the extra weight, which isn't actually that much with modern technology. The cost also, is of course a factor, added complexity...

Last edited:

HeX

HeX

Soldato
I've been using a Logitech G602 wireless mouse for gaming for the last few years, and honestly I can't tell the difference between it and a wired mouse it's that good. I tried several wireless mice before this one and they all had connectivity issues, or lag. The G602 on the other hand has been flawless since I got it.

Also, with regards to batteries running out, I use my mouse maybe 3hrs most evenings, and I charge up the batteries maybe 2-3 times... a year. The battery life is just incredible. They state something like 1440hrs between recharges in 'Endurance' mode, and 250hrs in 'Performance' mode.

Soldato
I seem to remember reading somewhere that wireless mouse weren't suitable for gaming because of lag? Or is this just "hyper" gamers crying? The same lot that swear you can't game at less than 144Hz?
I think this may have been the case in the very early days when wireless mice were first used in gaming...

These days - Pah.

Man of Honour
Problem is you won't really know until you try any specific one - different wireless mice have different performance/behaviour and even today there are still some for instance that will drop into low power mode fairly aggressively and can noticeably lag for a moment when switching back to full power and some will have more noticeable delay than others. You might find a wireless mouse you are perfectly happy with that has very low or non-existent latency or you might find you aren't happy with a specific model.

Wonder if its possible to run the mouse entirely from inductive power (plus some temporary storage like a super capacitor so it doesn't drop out from momentarily being moved away from the pad).

EDIT: Looks like it should be possible with the current output levels available now.

Last edited:

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I'm using the Logitech G900, and performance is excellent. There are even a couple of Overwatch Pro's that use this mouse. It is heavy-ish, but I've quickly got used to it coming from a Razer wired mouse. Got it for nearly half price in Black Friday week last year... maybe a deal next month???

Wireless charge lasts a couple of weeks, and plugging the cable in is no effort, and you can keep on gaming. The software pops up a warning at 10% charge, at which point you still have 1-2 hours of charge, so you can avoid a mid-game embarrassment.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I have a new G903+PowerPlay and new G613 wireless gaming KB both use the LightSpeed tech said to be undetectable in difference to wired by pro gamers who tried it.

Soldato
I use the MX Master, it's not a gaming mouse, and I notice no discernible lag whatsoever.

I would imagine that to filthy casuals such as ourselves only very poor wireless devices would have a latency we could perceive.

Frankly I doubt the legitimacy of the claims of those who do, unless it's certain titles in certain situations.

Caporegime
I use the MX Master, it's not a gaming mouse, and I notice no discernible lag whatsoever.

I would imagine that to filthy casuals such as ourselves only very poor wireless devices would have a latency we could perceive.

Frankly I doubt the legitimacy of the claims of those who do, unless it's certain titles in certain situations.
We must both be crap gamers with the reaction times of a snail, because I've used a wireless mouse for gaming for years, and don't think I can tell the difference either :p But it's good to know I can 100% blame my poor performance on the.... mouse latency :p

Back
Top Bottom