Are you happy with Youtube etc's video quality for game videos?

Soldato
It's something that has come to mind recently, there are plenty of game videos all over the web but with graphics getting better and sharper (especially on PC) a lot of the smaller, sharp details and effects are just lost in compression.

Is there a service or website around where I can reliably download higher quality trailers/videos?

The major problem is that the data has to be streamed and therefore low bitrate. I have been thinking of a few alternatives and maybe setting up some kind of community.

How would you guys feel about downloading larger game trailers of much higher quality like 500mb-1gb+ rather than streaming? If high res/quality videos were available would you be interested in waiting for a big download or possibly a torrent?

Personally I would love some much higher quality videos and torrents may be the answer. Is this even something other people are interested in?

Soldato
OP
I gathered there would be mixed response.

I guess for me, it would just be for certain trailers, the ones I would usually watch two or three times anyway. I wouldn't mind waiting for a torrent to come down as long as I knew the quality was good.

Sadly the only way I could get this to work on the torrent side is if there was a big need for such a thing and I don't have the time or money to host said files even if streamed at very high quality.

Not to mention sourcing these videos from publishers/developers in the first place. I feel it is something that could be done but given the bandwidth involved not particularly attractive to web developers.

Soldato
OP
So here is a case in point, I compared frames from the same videos uploaded in 720p to youtube (59MB) and the original file direct from ubisoft press at 720p (1GB), the difference is sometimes like night and day:

Youtube
vlcsnap-2012-10-15-00h30m25s23.png

Original
vlcsnap-2012-10-15-00h28m44s5.png

2x Youtube
zoom_01.png

2x Original
zoom_02.png

4x Youtube
zoom_03.png

4x Original
zoom_04.png

There's a few more if you want to check for yourself:
http://v4nt0m.com/bits/watchdogs_compare/?C=M;O=A

Best to download and open fullscreen and flick between the two.

Look at all that lost detail, It's just not good enough for me :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom