1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We recommend you enable 2FA on your OcUK forum account. Please see the thread here
    Dismiss Notice

Are you happy with Youtube etc's video quality for game videos?

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by V4NT0M, 14 Oct 2012.

1. V4NT0M

Capodecina

It's something that has come to mind recently, there are plenty of game videos all over the web but with graphics getting better and sharper (especially on PC) a lot of the smaller, sharp details and effects are just lost in compression.

Is there a service or website around where I can reliably download higher quality trailers/videos?

The major problem is that the data has to be streamed and therefore low bitrate. I have been thinking of a few alternatives and maybe setting up some kind of community.

How would you guys feel about downloading larger game trailers of much higher quality like 500mb-1gb+ rather than streaming? If high res/quality videos were available would you be interested in waiting for a big download or possibly a torrent?

Personally I would love some much higher quality videos and torrents may be the answer. Is this even something other people are interested in?

2. [email protected]

Caporegime

Yes I am, however, I wouldn't say no to even higher resolutions / features.

3. Chris-.-

Hitman

Buffering... please wait.

4. R.P.L

Wise Guy

Yeah I think that as long as they're recorded at decent quality and uploaded in 1080p, they're acceptable. I like the convenience of streaming, so I don't think I'd want to mess around downloading or anything like that.

5. BluSky

Wise Guy

As long as it is viewable, I really don't care if the video is slightly pixellated or whatever. Fast buffering times are more important to me than playback quality on something like a game trailer

6. Psyoletic

Hitman

I don't want to have to download everything I watch just for a few extra pixels.

Most of the trailers are in 1080p on YouTube is more then enough and they're plenty of websites that stream game trailers at high enough quality.

7. ~>Dg<~

Caporegime

tbh yes im all for this . i upload at highest possible normally 60 fps 1080p but youtube then messes it up lowers and for certain games like racing for eg it can make it look laggy and so on :(

with better internet speeds coming through hopefully they can raise the bar a bit soon

8. Gazanimal

Wise Guy

I stream at 720p for convenience & so that it doesn't hit me massively in the FPS department while playing but sometimes YouTube screws up the upload & it doesn't get uploading in 720p. That really narks me as I think 720p is still a good decent res, although I do like to watch in 1080p as well.

9. ArnieRambo

Hitman

you can go higher than 1080p on youtube...Original anyone

10. Rroff

Man of Honour

Yes its fine however you do need to know what your doing a bit in terms of capturing, processing (if any) and uploading (format, resolution/quality, etc.) to get the best out of it - its not fire and forget for video game footage.

11. ChrisJSY

Soldato

To be honest, there's only so much detail required to get the point of how a game looks or to enjoy it for what it is. It depends on the person recording/encoding in the end really.

12. yashiro

Mobster

When uploading game footage to youtube it gets mangled beyond belief compared to your local copy of the movie. In addition, youtube does not do 60fps video which is beneficial for some games.

13. Malevolence

Capodecina

[​IMG]

14. Soya

Hitman

Not particularly but not much alternative choice. I use it for my Flight sim videos, I use WMC 90% single pass encoding to reduce the video to a manageable size vs quality but when I finish UL it to youtube, the quality has reduced to, what I feel, is well below my level of quality. But what can you do, its free, so...

15. KIA

Man of Honour

YT 1080p is pretty good.

16. RoXoRz

Gangster

WHY OH WHY?!

17. Defy Belief

Mobster

I agree, never had a problem with it, I don't really watch game videos anymore though but it's not something i'd be bothered about, it's at a good standard.

18. Neil79

Caporegime

19. .:MBK:.

Mobster

its good enough for me, but then again any higher and it'd end up quicker downloading it from a decent hosting source. the joy of living in a village

20. V4NT0M

Capodecina

I gathered there would be mixed response.

I guess for me, it would just be for certain trailers, the ones I would usually watch two or three times anyway. I wouldn't mind waiting for a torrent to come down as long as I knew the quality was good.

Sadly the only way I could get this to work on the torrent side is if there was a big need for such a thing and I don't have the time or money to host said files even if streamed at very high quality.

Not to mention sourcing these videos from publishers/developers in the first place. I feel it is something that could be done but given the bandwidth involved not particularly attractive to web developers.