• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Argh, please help :(

Associate
Okay, I received my new 8800GTS 320Mb BFG OC this morning and something is wrong somewhere.

I get around 3600 points in 3dmark06 with the set up in my sig, Enermax Liberty 620W PSU and the 8800GTS on stock timings etc.

I've tried reseating the card, ensuring the 6 pin PCI-ex power plug is correctly - it is - I've tried different drivers (I'm using 9792 at the moment) and nothing. The best I can muster is 3746.

3DMark Score 3746 3DMarks
SM 2.0 Score 1416 Marks
SM 3.0 Score 1359 Marks
CPU Score 2739 Marks

Also, in Company of Heroes I get incredibly bad artifacting, and strange texture problems whereby huge brown and black pyramid shaped textures appear on the back of people's heads etc.

Performance in other games is frankly shocking too, so something is definitely wrong somewhere......

Please, please help :(

Do you think it could be PSU related?

When I reduce my system back to stock speeds/volts etc then it works as it should.

I did run at 3.2GHz with it stable for a short time, before my system froze and then rebooted. Upon reboot - the card was rubbish again. My system has been rock solid stable at 3.2GHz ever since I got it - the card is the only new component.

I'm running at 3GHz now to see if it helps it a little.

I have the Enermax Liberty 620W PSU - it's about 3 months old and is powering my system, 2 DVD drives, 4 120mm fans, the 120mm CPU fan on top of the tuniq tower.....

Do you think I've reached the limit of my cpu's juice?

niteflite01 said:
I *may* have sussed it by leaving the PCI-E frequency to AUTO instead of manually setting it to 100MHz and locking it at 33.3MHz....
Try locking PCI at 33 and PCI-E at 110, this solved a problem of mine yesterday thanks to Tom|Nbk. :)

Think it's your motherboard actually. Tom|Nbk was the one who informed me of a bug that makes the PCI-E connection drop to 1x speed sometimes when overclocking and that seems to fix it. :)

Ulfhedjinn said:
Think it's your motherboard actually. Tom|Nbk was the one who informed me of a bug that makes the PCI-E connection drop to 1x speed sometimes when overclocking and that seems to fix it. :)

That's EXACTLY what was happening, the slot was reported as being 1x speed.

Thanks so much everyone for your kind help, I really appreciate it :)

Arclite said:
Those brown pyramids in COH rings a big bell. That was the initiation of my X850XT's slow and painful death. RMA the card mate.

I think they may have been a symptom of the above PCI-E 1x bug with my motherboard. I've been playing it just now and all is as it should be :)

I've kept all of the packaging and boxes etc just incase it has to go back though :cool:

Just an update really - this PCI-E stuck at 1x bug is really quite crippling with this mobo whilst overclocking. It was fine at 110 for a while, then suddenly it backed down to 1x. So then I tried 105MHz and that fixed it for a while. And now it's jumped back down to 1x again and I cannot sort it no matter what I try.....

Come on ASUS, sort it out before I end up smashing your board into tiny little pieces and posting them to you in oversized, and overheavy boxes, without enough stamps on them.

Increase voltages on northbridge and southbridge as well.

I think I currently have my NB on 1.55v and my SB on 1.6v with my PCI-E frequency at 110MHz, not seen the 1x bug in a long time. Again that was advice from Tom|Nbk when it happened to me. :)

Back
Top Bottom