argos - item can only be returned if faulty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Hey

i have a more specific post open in the laptop section Here but i wanted a quick answer to a query i had in it.

when my dad purchased me a laptop he got told the 'this item can only be returned if faulty' speach, is this true, surely consumer rights cant allow this? my understanding is if an item isnt upto you expectations it can be returned?

i may be returning the laptop as faulty anyway but as my dad got me it i would need to do an exchange it for more or the same value wont i? if i see an alternative thats less will they give me a store credit card?

Associate
There is no requirement for them to accept an item back just because you didn't like it (unless bought online) as it is deemed that you are able to look at the item in store and make a decision whether to buy it or not whereas online it is harder to make this choice without seeing the item.

The item has to be fit for purpose, last a reasonable time etc etc. Whether it meets your expectations or not doesn't come into it. If you buy a laptop and it recharges, turns on, runs windows etc as you would expect for the spec then whether or not it meets your expectations it is fit for purpose.

Most stores do offer a better returns policy however this does cost them money and they are under no obligation to offer it unless the item is faulty or not fit for purpose.

Soldato
OP
cheers guys, i didnt realise this was something they could do, it was purchased in store but as explained in the other thread it may be going back anyway as faulty as it has a number of issues with it which may cover the fit for purpose one... the keypad being intermittent is a big enough issue itself, the other issues are just exra problems.

Caporegime
argos seem to have the worst customer support for anything electronic in my experience although my experiences lead me to not buying anything electrical from them again in the last 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom