Ark: Survival Evolved - Dinosaur MMO/Survival PVP funz!

Associate

Looks good! If the video is representative of the actual game (yeah, I know, massive winkey smiley) then this could be a very interesting game. I mean, who wouldn't want to ride a Triceratops while shooting Dodo's in the head for a laugh?
Seems they'll have a single player or maybe LAN options too.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
From what I got from the interview that was posted, 30FPS target is just for the early access. I may be completely wrong but the chap seemed to intimate that they'd be happy with 30FPS in EA and they'd start the optimizations when they'd handled more important aspects of the game, like what he was saying about the character creation. They have one in game so people can adjust options but it's not what is going to be in the finished product, just a place holder.

It was actually refreshing to hear a dev not trying to pander to every demographic but state that all the devs on the game are veterans and they know what the important bits are and they'll be getting the most attention and all the extraneous stuff will be functional only until they have the body of the game ready.

Associate
OP
Argh, I want this but Witcher 3, Destiny and Batman: AK upcoming. Too many games!

I'll give it a couple of weeks and see if I can talk some friends into hopping on with me.

Keep the impressions coming chaps!

Associate
OP
I wouldn't bother with Destiny at all.... The main story was OK at best but pretty short and then it turns into a grind fest to get anywhere.

Majorly over hyped game.

Well, I've been enjoying(more or less) it since it came out but yes, it is a bit of a grind fest although that has been alleviated somewhat with the latest bit of DLC.

I'm guessing there'll be regular wipes of this? I'd hate to join it in a month or so and everyone is already riding around on T-Rex's, armoured up to the gills with lasers shooting out their eyeballs. I'd kinda feel a bit underpowered coming into combat with them with nothing but a stone axe and loincloth :D

Associate
OP
I keep reading 'EA game' and I want to spit on the floor and proclaim that I'm not buying their churned out rubbish (same deal with Ubisoft) and then I remember that EA isn't Electronic Arts but Early Access and everything is right in the world :D

Associate
OP
Stop, all of you!

I was hoping it was all going to be enthusiasm crushed and endless bugs and unkillable Dodo's terrorising people, but all this talk is far too optimistic and it's making me really want to buy the game!! :mad: ;)

Associate
OP
Well, I caved in and bought it and I really like it! Graphics are a bit ropey in places (probably due to having to lower setting to get it to run OK) but it's mechanically sound and has some nice features (survival game virgin here) and I've not had any crashes or major bugs or anything.

Looking forward to putting some proper time into it.

Associate
OP
Played the game for the first time last night, and straight away as soon as I logged in, got attacked by a giant eagle :(

:D

My first log in everything was black and green and foggy, as I was being attacked by a Dilo. I recovered and punched it to death and then in a fit of pique, found a Mummy and Daddy dodo and punched them to death too. Then I felt really bad :(

Associate
OP
This game is turning me into a monster. I'm nice in RL but on this, well, after my dodo family massacre I saw the unconscious body of a player laying on the edge on the jungle, so I inspect her and she has a full inventory. I pinched her spear (I couldn't bring myself to take the special saddle skin or hat) and then started prodding her with her own weapon. Then I dragged her body into the water and let her float away, secretly hoping that a Megalodon was going to scarf her up.

I'm a bad man :(

Associate
OP
I just got double jumped by a bloomin' giant scorpion. After finishing with me, he must have fancied himself as he attacked a Rex that was already attacking two of them giant armoured turtle things. Two more turtles joined in to help their mates and then two giant eagles fancied a go and started. I sat back, ready to reap the hide and meat bounty that was left except I accidentally hit one of the surviving turtles while I was harvesting the bodies and he skull crunched me. FML :(

Associate
OP
I can see how the game isn't for some people but so far, I've had nothing but fun with it. It stutters a bit (chunk lines?) and the rain drags the fps down and I've had two crashes but other than that it's been great.

A couple of guys I know are playing and just got into some tribes compound (PvE server). The tribe hadn't locked anything so they started going through all their boxes to see if there was anything to loot. The tribe caught wind of this and so they locked them in the building and put walls over the windows, so the two guys I know ended up using the 3k stored fibres to make loads and loads of trousers which they threw all over the floor and defecated on. Bit of a harsh lesson to learn for not locking things up!

Associate
OP
That sucks PaulC2K :(

I lost a trike tame this morning at the last second. It'd been in a fight with a scorpion. The scorp was dead and the trike was unconscious but I didn't have any mejorberries or narcoberries on me (wasn't expecting to find a trike waiting to be tamed!) so I spend an hour and a half running around like an idiot, finding a few berries and topping it up. After it got to about 85ish% tamed, I went to get some more narcoberries to dump in its inventory to finish the taming off and when I get back (it was halfway between full and the last 'S' on unconscious when I left and was gone less than a min) it'd vanished :(

I did get one later though :)

Associate
OP
God, this game. I'm hopeless addicted to it now and I blame ALL of you for not doing enough to dissuade me from buying it! :D

Tamed a Carno on my own yesterday. That was an epic feeling. An opportunistic fight between it and a stego meant I had the chance to put 8 tranq arrows into it. After it'd gone down I set there for what seemed like eternity (actually 2 and a half hours) and feed it over 30 meat, 200+ narcoberries and 27 narcotics. I died four times too thanks to another carno in the area spotting me twice and I had to kill myself once as I had to use the random spawn as the bed was on countdown.

Also managed to get a Rex down today but despite putting over 40 narcotics into it, it only got a third tamed and we'd utterly ran out of materials and time, so we had to put it to sleep*

Such an amazing game and I've barely scratched the surface.

*stab it in the head repeatedly until it gave up loads of hide and meat

Associate
OP
I'm beyond gutted. Bear in mind I'm only 28 and in a tribe that isn't that advanced (tech wise) I just lost all my metal pick, metal axe (X2) pike, tranq arrows, bowx2, hide armour and about 20 metal ingots, plus all the resources I'd picked up and worst of all my scorpion ride. Black screen (graphics card crash even though I'm up to date with drivers) when I'm crossing a river to go and loot a carno corpse on the other side. By the time I get back into the game I've drowned and so has the scorpion and when I get back to the rough area where I died, it's the middle of the night, I have no illumination and I can't even try and scour the riverbed as it's full of chuffin' piranhas :(

Sad, sad times.

Associate
OP
That's a good idea about having the beds outside. I may have to pitch that to the tribe as we have it even worse than you. Our beds are currently on the third floor so that's two ladders to traverse in pitch black :D

Back
Top Bottom