Army/Raf and medical conditions

Associate
Hi guys and gals !

Just a quick question, I've been looking at the medical restrictions for joining the Army/Raf and I just wondered if I have one of the medical conditions listed does that exclude me from all the different sections in the Army/Raf ?

Associate
OP
Well I have ulcerative colitis and I'm not 100% sure what I want to do as I don't know what I can do :/

I was sort of looking at guardsman or dog handler :)

Associate
If you have a condition that is listed then you'd almost certainly fail your medical and not be accepted.

If you had one of the listed conditions, but don't anymore then you might get through, but otherwise no.

Edit: just seen your post above.

No you almost certainly wouldn't get in. People diagnosed with such conditions when already serving are at the very least medically downgraded, if they aren't medically discharged. Regardless of your trade/job you still need to be able to deploy and fulfil the basic requirments of being in the military.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I have ulcerative colitis and I'm not 100% sure what I want to do as I don't know what I can do :/

I was sort of looking at guardsman or dog handler :)

Ulcerative Colitis will stop you joining any branch of any of the forces I'm afraid. It's a service no go.

I was medically discharged from the RAF for it two years a go.

Medical conditions that preclude entry into the UK Armed forces

Abdominal and digestive disorders, including diet
• Ongoing abdominal, digestive or liver disease
• Crohn’s disease
• Ulcerative colitis
• Irritable bowel syndrome requiring medication/medical follow up/reviews in the last 2 years
• Loss of spleen (splenectomy)
• Chronic hepatitis
• Untreated hernia
• Active pilonidal sinus or two surgical procedures as treatment
• Active haemorrhoids
• Peptic ulcer
• Indigestion requiring prescription only medication/medical follow up/loss of time from school or work

Permabanned
Army and RAF are different. RAF is where people who get rejected for the Army and Navy go...

RAF basic training is much easier. The selection process is easier to pass etc

In short..RAF is for ladies and failures.

Underboss
Ring a recruiter or go into a recruiting depot, they will tell you straight out the book. Just don't sign anything and don't go pongo!

Josh

*EDIT - Moogley is right, real no-go area in the forces, horrible condition, feel for you.

Last edited:
Soldato
Army and RAF are different. RAF is where people who get rejected for the Army and Navy go...

RAF basic training is much easier. The selection process is easier to pass etc

In short..RAF is for ladies and failures.

:eek: I did not find my 24 months of technician training very easy. But I suppose being more qualified and paid more made us failures and ladies.. :)

Associate
:eek: I did not find my 24 months of technician training very easy. But I suppose being more qualified and paid more made us failures and ladies.. :)

Indeed. I certainly feel like a failure when I drive onto camp and the ex Army bloke, who could only get a job with MPGS, stood on the gate asks to check my pass.

Underboss
Yeah I'm in the service, work in a London local prison. We have a lot of ex military, good banter and you know they will always have your back.

Its a good service, but like the forces we are getting hit hard with redundancies, but there is a big recruitment push happening in the new year.

I'd recommend it to anyone, okay pension and a relatively secure job. You will always get the "we are doomed" brigade but are generally the old school who need to retire.

If you wanna know anything specific send me a trust message and I'll try help out.

Josh

Permabanned
Forces and prison guard are fairly different...

One allows you to travel the world with a vast scope for personal development and training. The other has you working with degenerates for 8-12 hours day.h

Kinda come across as not knowing what you want tbh..which isn't terrible, but don't jump down one path just because it's easier then another.

If you really fancy the military route, pop down to a recruitment centre and have a chat. Sometimes if you have enough charm/character the recruiters will pass you, even if they shouldn't..

Soldato
Bloody hell the medical restrictions are really restrictive. Must wipe out a massive proportion of prospective candidates, especially for non front-line roles. :/

Permabanned
Ex-forces retards made me leave prison service, my experience dinosaurs on a power trip! don't join it's even worse pay and terms now

Underboss
Forces and prison guard are fairly different...

One allows you to travel the world with a vast scope for personal development and training. The other has you working with degenerates for 8-12 hours day.h

Kinda come across as not knowing what you want tbh..which isn't terrible, but don't jump down one path just because it's easier then another.

If you really fancy the military route, pop down to a recruitment centre and have a chat. Sometimes if you have enough charm/character the recruiters will pass you, even if they shouldn't..

8-12hours a day? I wish, try 14-18h days. And the last time I was in Catterick the young recruits were mainly degenerates. Horrible little people.

Prison Service and the forces are worlds apart, one shoots at scum one locks them up and tucks them in!

Back
Top Bottom