Arrested but not charged yet, when and what to tell employer

Caporegime
Ah, disappointing, I assumed this was an update rather than a necro. Though the point re: confessing is perhaps correct in a lot of cases. In any case always speak to a solicitor before saying anything - maybe there are situations where a preprepared statement or an open discussion/answering any questions are better... but I'd leave that to a solicitor to advise on - until then say nothing!

Associate
Hi all looking for some advice. Recently I was arrested for GBH and later de arrested with NFA, no witness, statements, just a suspicion from the police. Later they informed my employee and now I’ve been suspended and have to attend a hearing with work, I’ve already had a meeting and said what happened and have to go on record. I work for the criminal justice system btw

Soldato
Hi all looking for some advice. Recently I was arrested for GBH and later de arrested with NFA, no witness, statements, just a suspicion from the police. Later they informed my employee and now I’ve been suspended and have to attend a hearing with work, I’ve already had a meeting and said what happened and have to go on record. I work for the criminal justice system btw

Is this due to any particular conduct requirements because of the nature of your role? Normally I would ask why the police felt it necessary to inform your employer unless it was essential as part of an active investigation, but is there an expectation that any potential criminal action is brought to their attention? If so then presumably you can expect to be treated in line with whatever it says in your contract/supporting policies.

Last edited:
Associate
I work in probation sonny job is working in a position of trust hence why I told the police my job and would never do such a thing, if I didn’t tell them my job role my employer would have never found out and it’s states in our work policy I don’t have to tell them of any arrest unless convicted etc there’s no statement or evidence against me just a pure suspicion

Caporegime
I work for the criminal justice system btw

Is this due to any particular conduct requirements because of the nature of your role?

I'm not sure the OP will know for sure but that could well be it.

Having said that one guy I worked with ended up with the police phoning reception and one of the receptionists put them through to their boss; the office manager, this was just in a tech firm and they were doing a "do you know what sort of person you're employing" call.

The office manager did him a favour and didn't inform his manager, he was later, briefly on remand which he knew was a risk beforehand and so booked a holiday... he pleaded not guilty still in the belief he'd be cleared, he wasn't, ended up in prison and sacked by a manager who was like "WTF, why hasn't Joe Blogs come back from holiday yet?". :cry:

Soldato
@drewy89 Are you in a trade union as they should be able to give advice. From what you say the hearing should just be a formality but they have to go through the process due to "rules". Take someone you trust as an independent witness and get everything in writing.

Associate
Ask why and get documented evidence that its a formal policy. I can't think of any justification for it: the only confidential information would be the specifics of this incident.

You get a copy of the recording right ?
Neither can I, yeah I get a copy of the recording

Soldato
As far as the police goes don't tell them anything unless you have solicitor with you and as far as your employer is concerned don't reveal anything you don't need to. Unless your unable to work as result of the arrest I can't see why your job would be under threat at this stage.

Interesting first post though, get arrested for GBH and registers an account on a computer forum to get advice on legal matters.

Last edited:
Soldato
Surely the word here is committed.

You're innocent until found guilty, so you don't have to tell them even if you're charged.

Basically this would be my understanding.

If you’re not a spokes person or image of the company, then there’s nothing until you’re convicted.

Back
Top Bottom