• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Arrgg.... 5870 problem.

Soldato
Hi, I just installed my lovely 5870.

Now windows just says that I have a standard VGA device. Do I have to uninstall the previous ATI drivers?

Should windows at least recognise the cards name ATI 5870?

Any help would be great.

Soldato
OP
This is gonna drive me insane :( I ran an ATI uninstaller, and the cat is not in the control panel > Programs list.

Rebooted and windows still only sees a standard VGA adaptor. Tried installing the RC7 drivers for win7 but they keep stopping just after I click the install button :(

Soldato
This is gonna drive me insane :( I ran an ATI uninstaller, and the cat is not in the control panel > Programs list.

Rebooted and windows still only sees a standard VGA adaptor. Tried installing the RC7 drivers for win7 but they keep stopping just after I click the install button :(

what security software are you running?

pause protection whilst you're installing the drivers as for some reason some security software (mine being kaspersky) doesn't allow the drivers to be installed.

As for removing them download "driver cleaner" and remove all ATI files. very straight forward to use.

Then reboot, pause security, install ATI RC6/RC7 drivers, reboot, turn back on security, play games

Soldato
OP
What in the world of hogwash is my windows doing.

Basically, the ATI RC6/7 drivers installer for the 5800s stops working after you click the install button. I did try to uninstall the 9.9 CCC drivers before hand.

I thought it might be some corruption somewhere, so I restored my fresh build ghost image (sacrificed some later app installs) thinking that would resolve. But the same happened.

After a little research on the Net, I found this interesting page. I hope its some help some others in the same situation. I followed it thru and got RC7 installed properly now :)

http://www.superwasp.net/weblog/2008/11/ati-catalyst-install-manager-has.htm

Soldato
OP
glad you have fixed it.

do you have all the C++ patches installed on your machine?

will you need to do this every time you update CCC?

Not sure about the C++ patches, I would say something seems to be amiss. I hope I won't need to do this all the time.

I installed 9.8 and 9.9 with no trouble. Its only these RC6/7 that I encountered it. Maybe it will be fine when 9.10 hits retail.

Caporegime
Theres are things that are a little nuts and irritating, that effect Intel/Nvidia/ATi.

None of them, afaik, keeps a simple single up to date page with a list of every driver you should be running.

Intel's driver download page is, well, awful, why they don't have a link simply to the latest drivers I don't know.

Likewise all companies should offer a list of Windows updates to get, for dual/quad core there was a semi normal multicore gaming fix update, but there was a 2nd one that effected various games.

Each of them should simply pay one guy to constantly keep an updated list of every driver/update you need to give you the best performance/stability.

Things like not knowing you need C++ of a certain version, etc, should all be on a nice easy list. It seems so blindingly simple yet none of them do it.

Back
Top Bottom