"Arsonist tried to blow up my car" - Peter May, Swansea councillor

Soldato
http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/s...-blow-car/article-1237860-detail/article.html
A SUSPECTED arsonist has tried to blow up a councillor's car outside his home.

They forced open the fuel cap, dropped a fuse into the petrol tank and lit it.

Brynmill councillor Peter May was woken in the early hours of Saturday morning to find firefighters tackling the blaze which resulted.

The incident outside the councillor's home in Finsbury Terrace has left him fearing for his safety.

But he has vowed to carry on representing his ward.

"It was a very sinister attack, quite malicious in fact," he said.

"This is a concern because I am a parliamentary candidate and a council cabinet member so people know who I am.

"Being a public figure this attack is a major worry and I do wonder if I was targeted, it is possible."

Police have confirmed they are treating the incident as suspicious and are appealing for information.

Inspector Tim Hopkins said: "Officers attended the scene just after 4.30am on Saturday.

"It's being treated as suspected arson to the vehicle.

"The vehicle has been recovered and officers are carrying out inquiries in the locality in an attempt to ascertain those persons responsible.

"I would urge anyone with any information to contact us immediately."

The emergency services were alerted to the incident by a passerby at around 3.30am.

One fire crew attended from Swansea, but the car was severely damaged before the blaze could be put out.

Councillor May added: "I didn't know anything about it until I was woken up by the fire engines outside my house.

"I have to praise the authorities because their response was obviously rapid, the fire could have spread otherwise."

The Lib Dem member was adamant the incident would not affect him professionally. The important thing is that this will not distract me from doing my job.

"This will only make me more determined, I won't let these criminals win."

Anyone who may have seen anything suspicious or who may have any information regarding the incident is asked to call police on 01792 456999 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

How many more of these attacks are there? :eek: Mind you, not exactly the nicest area...

Soldato
OP
Oi, I live in Brynmill, it's ok when the students have gone for the summer ;)

Hehe. :p That was apparently what this guy was campaigning against, the proliferation of BTL and student accomodation ghettos...

This attack was at his London home in Finsbury though ;)

Edit: Oh, it said Terrace..my mistake.

Last edited:
Permabanned
MPs should have read up about the Peasants' Revolt, when people are losing jobs and their homes yet MPs get rich and life a comfortable lifestyle off the tax payer.

Back
Top Bottom