Artificial grass

Associate
morning,I’ve just had artificial grass laid & the chap who laid it has laid it with the nap going the wrong way but he says over time it will eventually stand up & look better.can anyone confirm this as I’m not happy with it.

Andy

Caporegime
Do you mean you asked him to lay it with the blades leaning in a certain direction relative to the house and the person has not done that?

If so and you haven't paid him, I'd tell him you want it looking good now, not 'eventually'.

You can try brushing the grass etc. but the extent to which it'll 'stand up' is hard to predict now and why should you have to if he's made a mistake?

Associate
OP
The chap laying it has laid grass before so I left it to him & when I got home I looked at the grass & it looked crap till I went to top of garden & looked at it from there & it looks amazing,when I called him he said it will eventually lift & look fine.ive tried brushing it but that’s not making much difference,,I’m just asking in case someone else has noticed that theirs as lifted after time

Associate
The chap laying it has laid grass before so I left it to him & when I got home I looked at the grass & it looked crap till I went to top of garden & looked at it from there & it looks amazing,when I called him he said it will eventually lift & look fine.ive tried brushing it but that’s not making much difference,,I’m just asking in case someone else has noticed that theirs as lifted after time

My grass never lifted in fact its gone flatter, still looks great suits my garden but mine was not really the long stuff that you can get today.

Soldato
An interesting conversation as I am getting 4.8M x 4.8M of artificial grass put in at the moment. This size is ideal as I won't have any joins, the widest they seem to make it in is 5M wide.

The samples I've had all seem to lie best in one direction. Could change over time maybe. Sample has been squashed a bit in a bag so it's not totally flat anymore.

This is the sample I am running with:

From the "Front"
9MZlkCdh.jpg

From the "Side"
fofttQ1h.jpg

From the "Back"
8CkP1GGh.jpg

I would assume that the best way to lay it as so that the "Back" angle faces the rear of the house.

Associate
You want to make it look the best it can from the angle you view it from the most. I think looking into the pile gives the best result.

Yep when I installed this was the recommondation and what I went with.

@Andyhat if I was you i would be getting him back out. The grass is woven/stiched in during production so will always naturally point one direction it may stand up a little bit over time but that is going to take a lot of effort from your self brushing etc and and anytime you put something on it it will flatten to the direction of the pile. In my opionion it will never look quite right the way you currently have it.

Soldato
from your house you want to be brushing it away from you, not pulling it up towards you. If this is not the case, i'd get him to turn it around. Easier said than done now as I assume he's already put the dried sand over it.
I guess with people at all four sides they could spin it. Just depends if they have a join and have glued the joining tape.

I laid mine myself with my dad and his friend who's a builder. Best thing we ever did to that garden.

as regards to it standing up over time, that's rubbish. You brush the dried sand in to do that, but over the years it will go flatter. The first lot we had lasted ten years before it started looking more carpet than grass.

Back
Top Bottom