Asbestos in extension (pics inside)

Associate
OP
Just revisiting this as had other issues in the property to deal with (roof issues etc). Going to get it tested and go from there. I cannot recall if I said but when moving in the kitchen was tested which was clear, company said the garage just was asbestos (which the owners did not believe so no money off) the question now is the room above is getting skimmed and the ceiling is shot and needs removing before replacing and plastering, so I need to get that room tested. Seems the flat roof has had a leak, which makes sense as it was replaced 2 years ago (I did find it odd the surveyor only said to test the garage ceiling and kitchen ceiling and not in the room above ceiling)

Think I will get the door off asap while waiting (I will remove it and seen a local asbestos removal firm in the paper, book them to dispose of properly)
The key hole is really irritating and hard to hit anyway.

I think someone mentioned better photos, best I can do with the lighting in there and my phone!, but getting it tested anyway.
Revisiting the thread to see where the testing place was!

Also thanks all.

Associate
IF you are removing the door you might be able to check with your local council about them taking it for free. You will have to buy some strong plastic wrapping and make sure its double wrapped in the plastic and taped around all the edges on both layers of wrapping but once you have done that you might find the council would happily dispose of it for free I know our local recycling center takes it,

If anything, you need to get a company in to carry out some air tests in your house and garage I don`t want to alarm you but this stuff could already be killing you slowly. The air tests will let you know how contaminated your house already is. I have been involved in a few domestic clean up projects and when you tell people they have to throw out almost everything in there house that they cant wipe clean because its covered in asbestos fibers it doesn't tend to go down to well. Without a proper deep clean of your house following the air tests all your are ever doing is making it worse by releasing more and more fibers into the air and disturbing fibers that are all ready present that have settled on surfaces again and again and again.

Did you have some form of indemnity insurance regarding the asbestos? There is no way I would have even looked at this property with the amount of asbestos you have in there. You are potentially looked at 5k+ for a proper clean up of that lot and even then you might still get high air test reads.

Soldato
Asbestos should not be taken lightly or done 'DIY' style. My grandad passed away from mesothelioma and it was a horrid illness that turned him into a living skeleton slowly being asphyxiated by his lungs unable to inflate due to the pleura turning thick, cancerous and non-elastic, as well as fluid filling up the chest cavity around his lungs.

Absolutely observe correct safety process for asbestos, get professionals in, and make sure they extract all the fibres from the garage once they're done.
Sorry to hear that. How did he come into contact with it, through his work?

Soldato
Sorry to hear that. How did he come into contact with it, through his work?

Yes it was work - unsure of quantity needed as it lays dormant for such a long time in some people. Grandad was exposed during his work for various Steel/Iron Industries, and also chemical industry. He was a crane driver and portable machinery operator. His last potential exposure was around 60yrs old; he passed away aged 89. Seeing a relative die is one thing, but seeing a horrible illness like this take hold of them - especially when they were so youthful (he did ballroom dancing and frequently walked 10-15miles every day up until about 3 months before he passed away).

Due to the industrial illness, he needed a post-mortem, and the report said that his organs were near-perfect, no typical age-related conditions or disorders, and the pathologist actually stated that aside from his lungs, his brain, heart, bowels, arteries etc, were equivalent to a 50-60yr old's. He died two weeks after having an IPC - indwelling pleural catheter inserted into his chest cavity between his lungs, as his body was creating 10L+ of immune fluid filling the space between the lungs and pleura which meant he couldn't breathe. Diagnosis of first symptom -> Death took around 7 months.

Soldato
IF you are removing the door you might be able to check with your local council about them taking it for free. You will have to buy some strong plastic wrapping and make sure its double wrapped in the plastic and taped around all the edges on both layers of wrapping but once you have done that you might find the council would happily dispose of it for free I know our local recycling center takes it,

If anything, you need to get a company in to carry out some air tests in your house and garage I don`t want to alarm you but this stuff could already be killing you slowly. The air tests will let you know how contaminated your house already is. I have been involved in a few domestic clean up projects and when you tell people they have to throw out almost everything in there house that they cant wipe clean because its covered in asbestos fibers it doesn't tend to go down to well. Without a proper deep clean of your house following the air tests all your are ever doing is making it worse by releasing more and more fibers into the air and disturbing fibers that are all ready present that have settled on surfaces again and again and again.

Did you have some form of indemnity insurance regarding the asbestos? There is no way I would have even looked at this property with the amount of asbestos you have in there. You are potentially looked at 5k+ for a proper clean up of that lot and even then you might still get high air test reads.
Air tests wont show you anything if it's not been disturbed. You could place the air test right next to the boards and it won't pick up anything. They only really work following immediate disturbance of surfaces or breakages. You could smash up the entire ceiling, come back the next day and place an air test in the room and it would come back satisfactory, that's not how the sampling works. Now if you placed them during the smashing up of the ceiling the result would be astronomical.

Associate
Air tests wont show you anything if it's not been disturbed. You could place the air test right next to the boards and it won't pick up anything. They only really work following immediate disturbance of surfaces or breakages. You could smash up the entire ceiling, come back the next day and place an air test in the room and it would come back satisfactory, that's not how the sampling works. Now if you placed them during the smashing up of the ceiling the result would be astronomical.

Well, yes and no. Normally an air test is carried out external to the area actually being tested so you have a base external reading and then you clean and remove the asbestos in the area you are clearing and hope to reach somewhere near the base level so you can show the area is clean. We did a clean of a building in London and completed a number of air tests following the removal works and we couldn't get a good enough air test to pass for clean, turns out there was a scrap yard next door and the whole area had a higher than normal reading, apparently due to the large amount of asbestos contained in brake shoes!

The door in the picture could potentially be releasing fibers every-times someone opens it and lets it bang shut. These fibers will settle on everything in the house and potentially be disturbed every time someone moves around the house. Some household cleaning will remove some of them but not all. I agree that yes the fibers will settle and you might find the readings are not high either and normally in most situations encapsulation and monitoring is cheaper than removal, for example some decent gloss paint on the ceiling in the garage would help but given that this a domestic setting and people are sleeping in the house I would at least get the door removed.

Associate
OP
Holy thread revival batman,

Just a thanks from the input from those above firstly. Testing resulted in it being all in one fireboard with Chrysotile + Amosite.
Unfortunately whilst saving to get this done, covid happened and delayed everything. Finally done now.
Before
HeGaQPs.jpg

After
9guxtaH.jpg

Boarding
uiuExeb.jpg

Wiring
GMhD8Wz.jpg

Will post the garage door tomorrow, logistical nightmare to get removed, room above had to be cleared and sealed, then there was stuff like working out the logistics of no garage door and side door for a couple of nights, not to mention never just removed a garage door before...

So now onto the insulation. My plan had been:

Kingspan, plus insulated board plus fireboard

But the garage door chap suggested rockwool, fire board, or normal board x2.
I want the fireboard, garage is 6m long, 2.5 at widest point, oddly inbetween the joists are oddly size, 40,41,45 cm.
Is rockwool the way to go?
Been looking at this https://www.insulationsuperstore.co...oustic-insulation-slab-100mm-2-88m2-pack.html

Tired now so will post more tomorrow, oh and while I remember previous owners did use this room as a gym.....

Associate
OP
Dodgy frame needed replacing
UVb7hsR.jpg

New door, apologies for rubbish quality, imgr really did not want to upload the photo, windows would not resize it, so screenshot was the easy path!
beJCO4o.jpg

Plan
iOlwMEe.jpg

So plan is to split it up a bit, gym area in front, hoping the roller door is a bit better insulated than the old door (zero insulation) room upstairs was super cold.

Progress this week, white washed the walls, thinking of getting some floor paint before getting those interlocking plastic floors I have seen one here at a later date. Need to contact the electrician for some lighting/sockets.

Back
Top Bottom