"Asda Magic"

Permabanned
at the asda near me the customer service is to ignore customers or tell them to use the self service checkouts.

one day i was so angry i told them to open a ****** till because having a 20minute queue on the one till is a ****** joke and we obviously didnt want to use the self service checkouts.

the manager claimed it was store policy to be like that :rolleyes:

I actually dont believe you one bit. If this is the case then report the store in writing to Asda house in Leeds and it will be put up for review if they receive several complaints.

Ignoring customers is a sackable offense for Asda shop floor colleagues, and if the queues are too long they should be opening new tills.

Also many Sainsburys stores are actually entirely self service tills. Asda made a statement some time ago that they wouldnt be doing this.

Last edited:
Caporegime
do you work for asda?
Thank you for getting in touch about the service you received at our Benwell store.

I'm sorry you and other customers were waiting in a queue for over twenty minutes. I can understand how frustrating that must have been, especially if one of the managers told you it was company policy to leave customers waiting for 3 minutes before calling queue busters.

We expect all available colleagues to open tills during busy times so that we don't keep customers waiting. I'm disappointed this wasn't the case for you here.

I have sent a copy of your email to XXXXXXXXXXXXX, the General Store Manager, at XXXXXXXXX so she's aware of exactly what happened. I have asked her to look into this matter and take the appropriate action to ensure it doesn't happen again.

I hope this helps, XXXX. Thanks again for your contact and if there's anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Kind regards

Lydia Griffiths

Asda Service Team
Tel: 0800 952 0101

tons of moaning customers grumbling about the queue and only one till beeing on , customers usuing the one regular till that didnt require ciggys were getting abuse from the smokers because non smokers aparently should only use the self service checkouts......

the manager just said store policy bla bla and wandered off to hide at the back of the shop , there were atleast 2 other members of staff restocking shelves he could have asked to open a till.

everytime ive been to that asda theres only ever been one till on and a bunch of staff trying to apear busy....

i dont think i will ever bother going back , even iceland is better run

Last edited:
Permabanned
Worked in the same store for 4 years, and as your reply says, our store would have opened new tills as soon as the queues got too long. Your case is a one of incident, and not representative of Asda's company policies in general.

Caporegime
Not sure about that...they know just as well as all the other retailers that plenty of customers are still scared of them.

its less hassle to use a regular checkout imo.

1 no juggling bags

2 no wondering if the machine will actually take cards/cash without issue although it seems to be mainly the wilko ones and the boots ones that are usually broke for one of the payment methods)

3 no beeing directed to place a heavy item on the bag bit and then beeing asked to wait for a member of staff because it should have told you to place the item in the trolley.

4 no waiting for staff authorization to buy certain products

5 usually its faster for someone else to scan your stuff while you pack

Soldato
The Higher Broughton store is tiny, I live about 5 minutes from it. It used to be a Netto until Asda bought them out. Good luck, I imagine working there would be the complete opposite end of the spectrum to Eastlands which is the biggest store they have.

haha thats right near the Mrs' gaff, smack bang in the ghetto!

If you actually fear a group selection as much as so many people in this thread do, then you are completely incapable of doing a supermarket job well.

Untrue mate sorry, I now myself and I know my own limited capabilities, I am on the lower end of the Autistic spectrum, I don't do well in these types of situations being forced into 'play acting' in a group while being monitored, but I am fine with naturally occurring instances in an actual real situation once the responsibility has been bestowed upon me.

What would you say about someone that has an unhealthy fear of interviews?, would you naturally assume that they have no skills or capabilities for any job?

Last edited:
Permabanned
Looked like an actual supermarket to me the few times I went in there, all the checkouts were self service, and no staff in sight.

Permabanned
I dont even get why supermarkets introduced self service tills. The store I worked in replaced 2 normal checkouts to 4 self service ones, over the next few months me and several other checkout employees / managers realized that queues had gotten worse. The store I worked in was extremely busy, always jam packed and smashing our top sale targets for the Annual bonus thing, and we would end up with queues of 20-30 people per checkout and lining into the aisles as well (Yes we had every possible checkout open, and 2 staff per checkout, one to scan and the other to bag without even asking the customers to speed it up).

No one working there liked or wanted the self service tills, but it was beyond our decision. They added in more tills after I stopped working there I think. So IMO self service checkouts are only useful in stores that arent doing well in the first place, and that usually tends to be a knock on effect of poor staff performance in customer service, resulting in an inability to keep new customers shopping there. We had mystery shoppers every week and would get told off and even disciplined for repeat offenses if we didnt help customers good enough or smile and greet customers / ask for help with packing. I assumed that every Asda store would be like that because they are uber strict about slacking off with customer service (3 strikes of the managers spotting bad customer service from the same employee = grievance procedure / sack).

Last edited:
Caporegime
i was in the newcastle city centre 3 story wilkinsons earlier this morning and all the self service checkouts have been replaced with normal ones again...

so from about 6 normal checkouts
to 2 checkouts and 4-5 self service
back to 6 checkouts

Associate
Group interviews such as the ones at ASDA are so ridiculous. I went for a group interview at an Argos a couple of years back which did the same. We had to create a suit of armour for one of the other people being interviewed and then act out some ****.

I have no idea how any of that can help to determine who will be best at picking items from a shelf.

Back
Top Bottom