Asking for a payrise or financial help- advice

Soldato
Depends on the car really. If he has a 3 litre petrol V6 then I doubt he’s even breaking even. A 1.4L diesel or 1.0/1.2 turbocharged petrol and he’s likely making money.

Yeah, very good point. my motors were between 40-50mpg so it worked out well for me.

Soldato
OP
I have a DS 3 1.6 diesel.
I am quite an open person to my boss who knows I'm struggling financially especially with a partner who has health issues and only gets paid SSP.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh about the car and petrol and it's probably more to do with being underpaid.

I'm currently on £20k and I've been going for jobs with less responsibilities but a lot more career development for £25-£30k. It's just a bit frustrating knowing that I have been very close a couple times to getting these jobs and then not getting it and having to go back to my rubbish job.

Caporegime
I have a DS 3 1.6 diesel.
I am quite an open person to my boss who knows I'm struggling financially especially with a partner who has health issues and only gets paid SSP.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh about the car and petrol and it's probably more to do with being underpaid.

I'm currently on £20k and I've been going for jobs with less responsibilities but a lot more career development for £25-£30k. It's just a bit frustrating knowing that I have been very close a couple times to getting these jobs and then not getting it and having to go back to my rubbish job.
£20k does seem very low for what you’re doing. New job pronto! Can you drive for dominos or Pizza Hut a few nights a week for some extra cash? A 1.6 diesel is ideal for this too!

Associate
Could be that the OP is taking the money he gets for mileage as general salary and then living to that means, rather than ensuring the money from mileage is used to cover any extra car costs incurred.
Sounds like this. OP, probably tough on £20k but after paying for fuel put aside any leftover mileage allowance to take car of your car.

Soldato
OP
Thanks everyone, yeah I couldn't believe it when they offered me the job and in the top tier of the pay band as well. Money has been tight now it's going to be a lot easier plus my car is only going to one site now 4 days a week and working from home 1 day a week.

Caporegime
Thanks everyone, yeah I couldn't believe it when they offered me the job and in the top tier of the pay band as well. Money has been tight now it's going to be a lot easier plus my car is only going to one site now 4 days a week and working from home 1 day a week.

Congratulations. Now you won't have to claim mileage allowance and worry so much about wear and tear on your car.

Soldato
What's your new pay?

Caporegime
Nope, not guaranteed the same amount every month on my miles I do, plus I don't it really covered the costs of some of my garage bills.
Definitely better off for me and my partner.

I'm unsure of how 45p isn't profitable?
Even when I had my s2000 I used to get paid 45p a mile and it was profitable.

So Profitable I used to jump at the chance of it.

200 miles = 90 quid and about 40 in fuel (I think)
8 trips would be a new set of tyres easily.
Less if going for budgets.

Im not even sure if 4k is as good as you think if you were getting paid that in mileage?

What was your average business miles a month?

Congratulations on new job!

Soldato
I'm unsure of how 45p isn't profitable?
I suppose it really depends on the car and the state of it. You know sometimes you hit that age where things just start packing in. Oh, alternator has gone. Next month the starter etc. and if you're not disciplined with putting that mileage money in a "car pot" and it's used as extra income it'll just seem like you're getting big car bills all the time.

Soldato
20% pay rise isn't to be sniffed at, though what about the £30k figure bandied about earlier. £30k sounds better than £24k, don't give up on that.

Inflation is running at what, 4%? I think it's actually higher than that in real life

Caporegime
I suppose it really depends on the car and the state of it. You know sometimes you hit that age where things just start packing in. Oh, alternator has gone. Next month the starter etc. and if you're not disciplined with putting that mileage money in a "car pot" and it's used as extra income it'll just seem like you're getting big car bills all the time.

This is true.
Or if you are driving a lorry as a daily.

Man of Honour
4% pay rise, less time on the road and a more consistent income, that's definitely something I would take if I were unhappy. Give the new role 12 months or so and look again unless you get a promotion or decent pay rise.

Associate
24k, 4k payrise plus not using the car much is going to be a big help for us.

24k for a qualified health and safety person still seems underpaid .

health and safety consultants can earn 40k easily , you need to start looking more.

Are you fully qualified , grad iosh or
Cmiosh ?

Back
Top Bottom