Asking OC CS to build cost

Associate
even non overclocked systems endure full stress testing. our return rates are low for a reason. extensive stress testing means that a system doesnt fail in the hands of a customer.

by not testing systems for a standard amount of time across the board, it leaves us open to increased returns, influx of additional customer support etc etc

the knock on effect of a poorly configured system is huge so we take every step to ensure the protocol we have in place accounts for this and avoids it.

If a customer receives their new system and it works flawlessly and they dont have to contact us about it, then that is the second best thing that can happen.

the first best of course being that they receive their system and call up to thank us :)

Any fool can assemble a bunch of components, even me. However as quoted above, testing and doing ones best to insure the customer is happy is what you will pay for, and to my mind the figure mentioned is not a lot - Any company has overheads, has to pay NI contributions, sick pay and the like, so I cannot see it being a big money spinner for OCUK in any way.

If you can and want to do it yourself then cool, but many would rather spend the extra for the peace of mind and come back should there be a problem.
Again, as quoted above, the knock on effect of a poorly configured system is huge and people are so quick to shout loudly when something does go wrong. A good reputation is hard to earn but so easy to loose..

When I build my first pc it was great fun, full of stress and I still wonder if I couldn't have set it up better - to the extent that I may ask OCUK to build my next one but with all the specifics that I may have.

Soldato
I guess its all a bit relative.

I got the OC guys to build mine as I was worried I'd screw it up and break something. I'm just not confident in my ability to build a machine.

Getting OC to build it meant I also got the warranty which was most definately worth it. I had a couple of issues and had to send the machine back for a new CPU cooler all done under warranty and no issues. When the MB lost its overclock settings I could (and did) call them up and they helped fix that....its just invaluable stuff for a nervous enthusiast like me!

For me the additional cost of getting the machine built was well worth it. The piece of mind i've got from knowing I didnt screw it up is great.

Only downside is my machine is now just about a year old and about to go out of warranty...I'm on my own now :D

No you're not, you have us!

I think the value of the service depends on the person using it. If you're just putting something together (say upgrading your old rig after a few years), you probably don't need it if you don't mind spending time doing meticulous cable management etc. (it's a bit of a ritual for me), but if I was doing a custom water build I would consider it. A) it's a lot more work, B) the price of errors is greater, and C) if it leaks you're covered under warranty. Plus, no matter how hard I try, I can never get my cables looking as tidy as them!

Maybe next time I'll go water and get them to do it. As long as I'm earning more money by then! :p

Soldato
ive used ocuk build service 3 times i believe, every time has been top notch

will receive my new one tomorrow, so hopefully all my ocd notes were put to use will let you know how it went. :)

Also Rjk built my last pc still working today 3 years on :)

Associate
At the end of the day you get what you pay for, I have never had a system built by OC, but if I was to have a built system it would be from them because I trust their knowledge and expertise.

If you don't like the price/can't afford it don't moan on here just simply clear of to your friendly purple coloured high street rip off chain who's 17 year old clueless staff will be glad to hinder/overcharge/upsell/irritate you.

OC are a dedicated company who help enthusiasts by providing well priced goods to suit all needs/wants and budgets.

I have tried the "other stores" before I found OC and have never been anywhere else since.

Keep the good work up guys!!! 'Haters gonna hate and moaners gonna moan'

Much love x

Permabanned
At the end of the day you get what you pay for, I have never had a system built by OC, but if I was to have a built system it would be from them because I trust their knowledge and expertise.

If you don't like the price/can't afford it don't moan on here just simply clear of to your friendly purple coloured high street rip off chain who's 17 year old clueless staff will be glad to hinder/overcharge/upsell/irritate you.

OC are a dedicated company who help enthusiasts by providing well priced goods to suit all needs/wants and budgets.

I have tried the "other stores" before I found OC and have never been anywhere else since.

Keep the good work up guys!!! 'Haters gonna hate and moaners gonna moan'

Much love x

Lol funny man. You won't get discount saying this yno.

Btw you will find that warranty many places some charge though. I agree ocuk are good but I've had to go elsewhere due to slow replies for quotes. I get 2 year collect and return and the price is nearly 200 quid cheaper then ocuk. The place i got mine from wins awards year after year for its pcs so its not bad quality either.

Associate
Well I spend over £1800 on an OCUK build and they stress tested my OC etc, Had to send it back 2months later cause the overclock was failing and it wouldn't even turn on, just got a refund in the end and decided to do it myself.

Permabanned
Well I spend over £1800 on an OCUK build and they stress tested my OC etc, Had to send it back 2months later cause the overclock was failing and it wouldn't even turn on, just got a refund in the end and decided to do it myself.

Lol says it all ^^

I think £130 is way over the top and in the self config its £110 to OC everything to its max, i mean it takes them 10 mins honestly! Its not a hard job, alls they need to do is copy from other chips they have done and leave it to test while carrying on doing other stuff. If it passes then cool if fails ammend the settings and go again.

The main time issues is putting it all together which is worthy of £50 along woith the OC.

Permabanned
£130 to build a watercooled, overclocked, tidy cable management and fully tested PC sounds reasonable. If it's for anything else then it's very expensive.

Permabanned
Watercooled would change the price probs, i dunno but if they charge £130 for basics WC may be another £100!

Well yeah if you dont moan nothing will change so i think moaning is good, im not a passive person, if i dont like something i will say it. And it did effect me as i was getting a price for a build, im the one who found out it was £130.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
watercooled would mean more cost depending on the complexity

a cpu loop really isnt much more work than installation of a h100.

but dissasembling a gpu to block it up takes as much build time as a basic system. so that has to be factored into the pricing.

it is all relative, but as i said earlier in the thread, it depends entirely on what components are present in the spec you choose.

no two quotes would ever be the same [unless the pc is identical] because of the vast range of hardware and build options available.

if you think that offering 2 year multi channel support, 2 year RMA, testing and build services should amount to £50, thats cool.

start a computer business of your own, I personally wouldnt come to work for you, but you might net some custom.

but away from this fantasy, back in the real world, a company charging £50 to cover 2 years worth of overheads would simply hemorrhage money and cease to exist very quickly.

im not sure if you quite understand the complexities of the matter so i will avoid patronising anyone, but lets just say that £50 wouldn't cover it. :)

the £130 to you is actually around £107 to us. I cant see you taking the governments share into account...

Soldato
I can only echo what rjkoneill has said above.

- labour costs to build
- 2 years return to base warranty
- 14 day no questions return
- 8 hour stress tested
- cable managed
- overclocked (if applicable)
- forum support
- webnote suppot
- telephone support (with the people who actually built your system)

If you can do all that for £50 then we better start worrying!

Soldato
.... And it did effect me as i was getting a price for a build, im the one who found out it was £130.

Yet, in an earlier post you said....

i mean it takes them 10 mins honestly! Its not a hard job, alls they need to do is copy from other chips they have done and leave it to test while carrying on doing other stuff. If it passes then cool if fails ammend the settings and go again.

The main time issues is putting it all together which is worthy of £50 along woith the OC.

You 'seem' to 'know' all about it so do it yourself and save £130.

As said previously if a person is competent enough then £130 would sound a lot, but to someone not capable/confident enough to build what they want, then who are they to argue the price of someone elses expertise? If you want to save the money and do it yourself and risk ballsing it up, fine. However if you want a guaranteed job with no real hassle on your job....you pay the rate.
It's STILL your choice at the end of the day.

I'd never pay the £130, because i'm confident i can do it myself, but i understand rjkoneill pov and i think it's fair enough. It's no different to any other trade that requires certain skillsets/experience to complete a job.

Soldato
You will always get people like this. I know certain things about certain companies build process which wouldnt surprise me if they are charging so little for their services.

£130 isnt that much, but regardless, if you dont like the charge then dont pay it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom