ASP.NET Core

Associate
I am really looking forward to this. I've been following its progress recently since discovering it, e.g. the weekly community standups.

I like what they are doing to this new asp.net and mvc (core, vnext, 6, or whatever they have decided to call it now!), the new way of doing things e.g. cross-platform, no need to use IIS. This new framework seems really organised and fun. I'm a big fan of C# (I used to turn my nose up at it until I tried it :p) although unfortunately have to make do with Python everyday currently :(.

Hoping in the future can convince where I work to look at it and use it for our next project. Also waiting on some books on it to be released in March and beyond.

Is anyone else interested in this? What are your thoughts?

Associate
OP
Not heard of Windows Nano, just had a quick Google.

I've never developed professionally with asp.net and related unfortunately, but I'd love to. Visual Studio and Resharper is just heaven to work in.

Don
Not heard of Windows Nano, just had a quick Google.

I've never developed professionally with asp.net and related unfortunately, but I'd love to. Visual Studio and Resharper is just heaven to work in.

We have it running on a raspberry pi in work... everything is done on remote powershell :)

Stelly

Associate
I have been developing a production system for .NET core for the past 2 months.

My personal experience has been that there's currently too much conflicting information out there at the moment, I hope to see this cleared up over the next few months (i.e. everything regarding dnvm, dnu and dnx is out of date, dotnet is the new CLI).

I am more excited now this is being managed by the .NET team rather than the ASP.NET team, they do have a tendency to make everything about the web which doesn't hold as much interest for me.

Associate
The main thing I want changing is replacing the project.json format with something like hjson, not having proper comment support is really annoying for what is basically a build configuration file.

Oh and proper DNX support for UAP/UWP applications.

I am looking forward to this being the standard for new projects, csproj is much more painful in comparison (project dependencies/packages etc).

Last edited:
Associate
On the surface it looks pretty cool.

Kind of worrying that it will push all of the new stuff we've done to being somewhat 'legacy' but bleh. That's the life-cycle of technology I guess.

Associate
OP
Businesses still using mvc 3 and 4 so I've read :p. I guess it depends upon how big an investment and project there is in "legacy" stuff. If it's big, then the effort to change is not worth the cost potentially. Still, for new projects, it's good.

Associate
Businesses still using mvc 3 and 4 so I've read :p. I guess it depends upon how big an investment and project there is in "legacy" stuff. If it's big, then the effort to change is not worth the cost potentially. Still, for new projects, it's good.

It's likely that we will only touch for new projects as you said :(

Associate
My company were waiting to see what MS had to offer with 1.0, but it just isn't ready for production. There are so many pieces, it could be 18+ months before we see people really abadoning the current workflows. We have decided to switch all our new projects to Go and Node, MS really **** the bed on this project

Back
Top Bottom