ASP :(

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Why do a lot of web developer positions require ASP/.NET opposed to PHP? I'm thinking I may have to start learning ASP which is a shame, as I like PHP.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Before I started working where I do I'd never touched ASP .NET, however having been forced to use it for the past year or so I can safely say I find it much much better than PHP.

It's faster, has the awesome .NET framework - which also allows you to use external DLLs from your other programs inside your website, makes it very easy to write web services, has the great and simple to use MVC system if you want it, or failing that master pages for easy templating and of course it can be wrote in Visual Studio which is one of the best programming environments available.

It takes a little longer to get used to how to use Visual Studio and the like but it's definitely worth it.

Associate
The old stigma used to be that ASP tended to be for larger companies and PHP for smaller business, enthusiasts and freelancers.
This mostly used to be due to the pricing of servers, with windows servers being more expensive.

I started the transition from PHP to ASP about 6 months ago, after I found that anything based in the larger companies wanted this scripting.

I've very much enjoyed learning it so far but am far from an expert, and I agree with Pho on many of his points.

Its another string to your bow if you can find the time to learn it, it does seem to be becoming more and more popular (from my limited experience at least)

Associate
*Can I use this website name? this as its in no way competition for OcUK? If not I'll remove all links and mention of them*

I'm a sucker for hard copy reference, so when I decided to take the plunge in to ASP.NET I headed off to Sitepoint, I've used their books before and are very impressed with them :)

I got the Build Your Own ASP.NET 3.5 Web Site Using C# & VB, 3rd Edition and basically started at page one and followed it through till the end.
This gave me a pretty good understanding of most aspects of the code.

I recently ordered a copy of the The ASP.NET 2.0 Anthology: 101 Essential Tips, Tricks & Hacks as further reference.

In between these 2 books its mostly Google, sitepoint and other forums, and bugging the chap that I often work with (who used to be our ASP guy when I was the PHP guy)

Associate
There's a major difference between ASP and ASP.NET - don't mix them up because the names are similar.

ASP :(
ASP.NET :)

Yeah apologies, I didn't even think that anyone still used basic ASP in the industry ? Its all .NET, I was just being lazy

Associate
Whats your area of work (or your aim for)

I guess if you want a 9-5 position in a established web company then ASP.NET is the way to go as they do tend to favor experience in this language over PHP.

If your going to freelance then it may be better to continue with PHP.

Associate
Hmm, toughie.

From experience, you will get a lot more freelance work with PhP, you will be modding opensource forums and CMS for specific needs, and using PhP for small backend registration/login scripts and contact forms.

Associate
I've found that 70% of people that employ freelance coders are linux based users, which restricts them somewhat to what scripting choices you have available to you

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
OK I've decided on a route. I currently know HTML, CSS and some PHP. So the next logical step is JavaScript > AJAX > Then more server side scripting.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
I able to create login/registration, forms etc in PHP. What would you say the next step is? Create something bigger using a framework?

Soldato
I able to create login/registration, forms etc in PHP. What would you say the next step is? Create something bigger using a framework?

Frameworks, writing your own classes, using classes, OOP, security etc etc.

Personally used to use 'classic' ASP in my old role. Since moving I've been forced to learn PHP - I like how there's an inbuilt function for everything you can think of :) Used to hate the pain in ass of doing simple things like file uploads and sending with ASP.

Back
Top Bottom