Asrock B450 pro 4 compatibility with TPM 2.0 ?

Associate
My PC appears not to be able to upgrade to W11 due to being unable to switch on TPM 2.0. I've been in the BIOS/UEFI security tab but I can't find where I can turn it on, maybe I'm missing something or maybe it's not even there to turn on. Any advice gratefully received. Please be gentle with me, my user name might give you a clue. Many thanks.

Man of Honour
My PC appears not to be able to upgrade to W11 due to being unable to switch on TPM 2.0. I've been in the BIOS/UEFI security tab but I can't find where I can turn it on, maybe I'm missing something or maybe it's not even there to turn on. Any advice gratefully received. Please be gentle with me, my user name might give you a clue. Many thanks.
FYI: Some BIOS need an update to expose the fTPM option, but it would say in the manufacturer's BIOS list for your motherboard.

Associate
OP
Sadly, I don't know enough to make that decision. All I know is I don't want to lose anything as I have lots of photos, about 7000 mp3 tracks, and several Excel spread sheets with four years of data. The PC works fine apart from random "event 41" (maybe once a week) but the reset button sorts it until the next time it happens. Just run "Heaven" benchmarh and I got 102 fps and a score of 2578, so I don't think there is much wrong with it.

Man of Honour
Sadly, I don't know enough to make that decision. All I know is I don't want to lose anything as I have lots of photos, about 7000 mp3 tracks, and several Excel spread sheets with four years of data.
As said above, I would definitely NOT be upgrading until you have backed all of this up.

An in-place upgrade is usually fairly safe, but a BSOD boot loop can happen at any time when you start messing around with Windows, so there's no way I'd risk the upgrade right now.

In terms of: general Windows usage. Most apps and drivers will still run on Windows 11, but obviously there are some exceptions and if you want to enable the security features like Memory integrity, old devices may not have compatible drivers.

Soldato
Yeah usually it's OK
Usually if in place upgrade fails
It usually rolls back to previous windows
But last thing you want to hear if it goes wonky
And suddenly those important files
Are no longer accessible
Is well that doesn't usually happen

Solid state drive prices aren't as low as they were
But what price do you put on
Your irreplaceable or very hard to replace stuff?

I know I go overboard with my backups
Got 5 x m2 plus 4 x sata ssds
Plus external ssds
And cloud backup on top of that
But that's how important my stuff is to me
The grandkids will never be babies again
May never take holiday of a lifetime again and so on
Those photos are basically irreplaceable

Soldato
I have changed the cpu about 5 times since I had my problem and have zero problems. It was the one time I messed with the setting. And you’re about to… mess with the setting.

Last edited:
Soldato
There's a bios setting to stop that
Well in my bios there is anyway
Forget exactly what it says but something about
Not resetting it when ftpm is turned on/off
Something else probably to do with if you use bitlocker
Is vaguely in back of my mind too

Associate
If you have a few spare quid, do what I always do. Take out your W10 SSD along with all other drives, put your new one in and install 11 to that. Then put all your other drives back in and select OS through the BIOS key. Far cleaner than having MS's crappy bootloader.

I always keep my previous build intact whenever MS release a new OS, because they're never fully ready and I like to be able to roll back to an untouched build and have a clean install of the new one as opposed to an in place upgrade.

Up to you though, i find I still use W10 more even though I have both.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom