Asrock Z68 Extreme4 or Asus P8P67 PRO

Soldato
You will be pleased with either board, as already mentioned the Asrock is very good value, but I went for the Asus P8P67 Pro, because at the time I bought it was on OcUK special offer @ £139 and so cheaper than the Asrock, and neither did I require the extra features of Z68...so I would just go for the cheaper.

Associate
I have both boards, the ASrock is much better, and very eay to overclock.. couldnt get the Asus to overclock my Ram but the Asrock had no problem very stable :) also have it setup with trifire no problems..

Caporegime
Does this asrock board have dedicate 2 16x pci lanes for CF OR SLI???

The board has something called "Integrated PLX PEX8608 chip onboard to offer sufficient PCI-E lanes".

"ASRock Z68 motherboard break the limitation and offer sufficient PCI-E lanes solution by embedding PLX PEX8608 chip onboard. Users can simply enjoy all PCI-E devices".

Z68 Extreme4

Edit

Just had a look at the manual.

1 card is x16
2 cards are x8 and x8
3 cards are x8, x8 and x4

Not that you'd notice any difference between x8 and x16.

The only boards offering more PCI-E lanes are those with NF200 chips and they cost ~£300.

Last edited:
Associate
The board has something called "Integrated PLX PEX8608 chip onboard to offer sufficient PCI-E lanes".

"ASRock Z68 motherboard break the limitation and offer sufficient PCI-E lanes solution by embedding PLX PEX8608 chip onboard. Users can simply enjoy all PCI-E devices".

That's just jargon to me so basically an 8x 8x with CF and SLI

Associate
I found a problem running at 8x8x4x @ 5760x1200 the system will benchmark good but in game play you get a lag from mouse to screen and you can see it a lot.. but as soon as you disable the 4x card back to crossfire the lag has gone allso my g15 keyboard shows that card 1 & 2 run between say 60/90% usage where as the 3rd card always hits 100% so i guess this is what slows it down also drops the fps in some games.. i could be wrong and this is a driver problem but doesnt look like it.. also with this board you may need to disable legacy usb support in bios if your system is freezing on boot up screen with error 92.. the mouse is to blame for some reason but a lot of people have this problem.. anyway running crossfire @ 4.8ghz on a eyefinity setup the board is doing a good job :)

Soldato
The PLX chip is not really about SLI/Xfire....its purpose is to offer more PCIe lanes to the board overall, overcoming 'chipset limitation', meaning that if lots of slots are populated with cards (gfx, tv tuner, whatever..) the onboard controllers do not all start shutting off !
Some of the other Z68 boards (e.g. the Asus V-Pro) disable onboard controllers as slots fill up, as they take over the PCIe lanes that said controllers would be using.

Associate
I bought the Asus P8P67 Pro. When it arrived I opened it to inspect the board and noticed that the PCB was warped and that the build quality was not up to scratch. I sent the board back and ordered the Asrock P67 Extreme 6 Mobo which is everything the ASUS wishes it could be.

From the packaging to the build of the board I could not fault it, plus the reviews are pretty good too.

I'm pleased I swapped the ASUS for the Asrock.

Back
Top Bottom