Astro Turf worth it ?

Associate
As title suggests I'm considering getting astro turf in our front garden to replace the sad excuse for grass.

Wanted to know anyone's experiences and whether they recommend or not recommend and why?

thanks.

Associate
OP
We've got it in the back garden. Was there when we moved in 18 month ago. Kids play on it, they've got a swing and slide set and the 'grass' underneath is perfect. No maintenance, brush, blow or vacuum if you feel the need, we haven't.

I would 100% recommend it.

Yes, 100% recommend it.

Pros:

- Low maintenance. Just need to brush sand into it and hover it twice a year. It doesn't grow either.
- Looks good all year round
- Not affected by bad weather, so not muddy etc.
- If you get decent turf, its softer than normal grass
- Most is pet/child friendly. Easier to clear up pet 'mess' as it sits on the surface

Cons:
- Expensive

Cheers for the recommendations

Is it any wonder that butterfly and bird populations are dropping with people putting this stuff down instead of a few plants.:(

I can see where your coming from but we will still have plant pots in the front and it will only be our front garden. We have a bigger back garden which will be keeping as grass due to having pet rabbits.

Associate
OP
Artificial grass is on my list of things I want from the garden.

Where I live is marshy with heavy clay soil and drainage is very poor. I have a toddler and a dog so having a water logged lawn most of the year is not what I'm after. Currently we have gravel which at least is low maintenance and at least provides drainage. I know other people with kids who have it who love the fact that pretty much as soon as it stops raining you can go out and play on it, which wouldn't be the case for a water logged lawn.

I understand it's not for everyone, but I'm coming round to the idea.

If you are going to fit it, be sure to do all the prep work properly. It needs a good base to go on to for it to look and work at it's best.

Dave

Our grass has failed to grow properley for the last two years. The back garden is okay but the front looks more like a desert. I hate gardening generally, and tried seeding last year and hasnt improved it at all. Our front garden isnt used for anything as it faces a main road. my partner said gravel it but were still thinking about both

Associate
OP
i don't think astro turf looks better. you can clearly tell an astro turf lawn from a real one very quickly and blatantly. it's plastic after all. i get that it's low maintenance which makes it very appealing to a lot of people.

i decided to seed my lawn as IMO grass is better. I am thinking though of sticking astro turf down on top of my decking. decking is just too much maintenance. i'm thinking of painting it to try and stop rot then astro turf over the top. i get that paint will deteriorate every winter but so long as it prevents the rot for longer it's worth it. as just now it looks pretty bad. astro turf over the top of it would make it look nice again plus more appealing to sit down on if need be.

I don't neither but what I am comparing it to is not a top notch lawn that is unblemished. My current lawn is yellow patchy and awful and in that sense it would look better with the added bonus of low maintenance in the future. that's my comparison if it was Wimbledon I wouldn't even think about changing.

Associate
OP
Worth it, 100% we love ours. The dog loves the grass, its low maintenance and with zero mess.

The wonderful condition of new builds!
image1.jpg

The photo was taken literally 30 seconds ago, its been down for a few months.

IMG_2094.jpg

>
That looks nice in my opinion. especially when the dog makes patches on the real stuff

Back
Top Bottom