Astro Turf worth it ?

Associate
As title suggests I'm considering getting astro turf in our front garden to replace the sad excuse for grass.

Wanted to know anyone's experiences and whether they recommend or not recommend and why?

thanks.

Associate
We've got it in the back garden. Was there when we moved in 18 month ago. Kids play on it, they've got a swing and slide set and the 'grass' underneath is perfect. No maintenance, brush, blow or vacuum if you feel the need, we haven't.

I would 100% recommend it.

Associate
Yes, 100% recommend it.

Pros:

- Low maintenance. Just need to brush sand into it and hover it twice a year. It doesn't grow either.
- Looks good all year round
- Not affected by bad weather, so not muddy etc.
- If you get decent turf, its softer than normal grass
- Most is pet/child friendly. Easier to clear up pet 'mess' as it sits on the surface

Cons:
- Expensive

Caporegime
why do you need to hoover astro turf? it doesn't grow. if it sheds then just let it be. otherwise over time with enough hoovering it will need replaced.

Is it any wonder that butterfly and bird populations are dropping with people putting this stuff down instead of a few plants.:(

didn't know butterflies and birds ate grass

Soldato
didn't know butterflies and birds ate grass

They don't. But grass is the natural habitat of many insects which butterflies and birds do eat.

Fake grass isn't for me personally. I can see the pros of having it and yes, my garden would look superb, but there is just something about fake grass that doesn't sit right with me. Au Naturel for me :)

Caporegime
They don't. But grass is the natural habitat of many insects which butterflies and birds do eat.

Fake grass isn't for me personally. I can see the pros of having it and yes, my garden would look superb, but there is just something about fake grass that doesn't sit right with me. Au Naturel for me :)

those same insects can just move to nearby flower beds, etc. so makes no difference.

or birds can just relocate to greener areas.

Associate
OP
We've got it in the back garden. Was there when we moved in 18 month ago. Kids play on it, they've got a swing and slide set and the 'grass' underneath is perfect. No maintenance, brush, blow or vacuum if you feel the need, we haven't.

I would 100% recommend it.

Yes, 100% recommend it.

Pros:

- Low maintenance. Just need to brush sand into it and hover it twice a year. It doesn't grow either.
- Looks good all year round
- Not affected by bad weather, so not muddy etc.
- If you get decent turf, its softer than normal grass
- Most is pet/child friendly. Easier to clear up pet 'mess' as it sits on the surface

Cons:
- Expensive

Cheers for the recommendations

Is it any wonder that butterfly and bird populations are dropping with people putting this stuff down instead of a few plants.:(

I can see where your coming from but we will still have plant pots in the front and it will only be our front garden. We have a bigger back garden which will be keeping as grass due to having pet rabbits.

Soldato
Not turning this into a big debate but large amounts of birds and insects are in decline precisely due to a lack of green spaces, it's not just as simple as moving to a new area what with territories and competition for food etc. It's this AstroTurf thing combined with lots of other things (unsympathetic farming methods, water course pollution, slug pellets, slabbing over grass etc) that combine and tip the balance between us living in reasonable harmony with nature and with us living in a sterile land all on our own.

Just my 2p at 6:30 in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom