ASUS A8V-VM

Associate
Hi

Anyone out there had any experience of this board and specifically BIOS settings when using SATA II drive as a boot drive. I have had problems getting Win XP SP 2 to load on even though I have installed Drivers at the F6 point during install. Any help would be welcome as It is driving me nuts.

The drive is a MAxtor 200GB SAta II. 512MB Dual Channnel Memory.

I have slaved in an IDE drive and that works fine.

Associate
try it with just the one block of 256 in single channel mode
Make sure you have the latest drivers as the one which come with the MB does not always work well.
Unplug the IDE device and
have a legal copy of XP
if that don't work then. I will forget all about this post and carry on blazzing on my PC and leave you in the hands of the dreaded support site for your MB..
The countless hours searching through FAQ just for a glimps of hope :(

Good luck

Associate
OP
ASUS

Thanks for replying - had tried all the stuff you mention but it turned out that I had got a faulty hard drive and that in turn trashed the mother board - Hum!!!!!!!!!!!

Suspended
No problems here with the "CSM" version onto a SATA HD -WD 2500KS. No suprise with Maxtor, POS drives suitable for doorstops imo.

Create a XP SP2 slipstream disc as that includes SATA drivers, saves you creating a floppy with them on, plus no need to install SP2 afterwards.

Associate
glad you sorted it out sorry it killed the MB that sucks, my father had a couple of Maxtor Drives not long ago I think they were 120gb each sata drives we were going to riad them but could not get any where at all, we ended up just running as 2 drives. with in three months both drives were dead, so we are now using Samsung they are so quite you got to keep looking inside the case to make sure they are there.
The only thing is they do tend to run hot but some drive fans do the job with out to much noise.

Cheers
D

Back
Top Bottom