Asus aftercare, PB278Q replacement monitor is such a joke its untrue!

Associate
Where do i start with this.

I reported to Asus that my PB278Q monitor had developed an area of dead pixels which was quite noticeable, anyway they granted an RMA for a replacement Monitor, great i thought .......Think again.

They sent me clear instructions via email as what to do next, they said a courier will deliver the replacement monitor and these were the instructions as what to do with the faulty monitor that's being returned

Please follow below packing instructions:

1. Provide the faulty product de-installed and unpacked to the courier.
2. Remove the base (if removable) of the faulty product.
3. Provide the base and back cable cover (if applicable) to the courier together with the faulty product.
4. Do not provide ANY cables, AC adapters or other accessories to the courier.

So basically it tells you to give the faulty monitor to the courier, (unpacked) without the base attached, then hand them the base with the monitor.

This is where the comedy starts, the courier turns up this morning with a plain brown box with the replacement monitor inside. I sign for that, i then hand him the unpacked monitor along with the base as per Asus's instructions.

He started laughing and said "your joking right ?" I said "what do you mean", he said "we can't take that without it having protective packaging", i showed him the email from Asus where they clearly state to hand the courier the faulty monitor in an unpacked condition minus the cables.

He then starts to open the box that my replacement monitor to came in which was very basic to say the least, he took out the monitor which had a thin piece of plastic sheeting over it and handed the monitor to me, i put that to one side. He then handed me the base, i looked at it and said "Asus have got to be joking right ?".

The base was a battered mess, deep gauges, scratches, it looked like it had been dragged down a road whilst tied to the back of a car. Naturally i said "you can take the base back and i'll keep my own" which was in perfect condition.

He put my faulty monitor inside the box that my replacement had been delivered in, i didn't have time to check the monitor there and then as i had to leave to catch a train so i signed for it as unchecked and would check it later.

I checked the monitor earlier this evening and i just could not believe what i was seeing, remember where i said the base looked like it had been dragged down a road whilst tied to the back of a car, the monitor looks exactly the same.

The first thing that hits you is how bad the bezel looks, i'm not just talking one area here, the whole bezel is heavily scratched and grazed.

If you think that isn't bad enough, ive spotted at least 4 dead pixels on this screen that stand out like a sore thumb, their is also a piece of dust stuck behind the screen and just to put the cherry on the cake their is something loose inside the monitor thats rattling around.

I gave Asus a virtually mint PB278Q that still looked like new and was bought brand new, they replaced it with something you would expect to find down a car boot sale for a couple of quid.

Here are a few pics of the bezel just to give you an idead of what Asus are sending out as warranty replacements.

Last edited:
That looks pretty bad. If you bought the monitor from OcUK it might be worth getting in touch to see if they can give Asus a nudge on your behalf?

Frankly I am appalled. I bought the same monitor at Christmas.
After reading your experience with Asus, it begs the question: What does this statement (below) on the OcUK "PB278Q" product page actually mean?

- Warranty: 3 Years On-Site (Premium Panel Guarantee)

It looks as if Asus are having problems with their English-to-Chinese translation of the phrase "Premium Panel Guarantee".
It has somehow been mis-translated into "A faulty monitor of the same type that we've recovered from a skip and packed in a cardboard box".

What a joke!

I agree with Omar. If you bought it from OcUK then they might be able to help.

Last edited:
I remember when the backlight went out on my old Samsung 240T. Customer service sent me a box with a pre paid shipping slip. Shipped it off and got the monitor back within 72 hrs looking good as new with ZERO problems. Lasted me roughly 5 years until it died (thankfully) and I could finally get my 1440p Asus. :rolleyes:

I was posting to make people aware who are thinking of buying an Asus PB278Q to have a rethink, if something goes wrong with your monitor in the future your replacement under warranty is likely to be something similar to what i received which has been abused and looks like its been dragged around the street.

I don't know how Asus are allowed to get away with it, you return a faulty monitor to them under warranty that's been well cared for and kept in mint condition, they replace it with something that you'd expect to find at your local car boot sale for a couple of quid. This was a top of the range monitor when it was bought and cost close to £500, mine had dead pixels.

What should be happening is the monitor should go back to Asus themselves and not some 3rd party called (LetMeRepair UK) as thats who sent the emails to say it had been shipped, Asus should simply swap out the faulty screen and put it back into your original Monitor because that way you get your own Monitor back in the same condition that you sent it away in, for those people who look after them you get your mint condition monitor back and not some shabby monitor that someone has clearly abused.

Would i buy another Asus Monitor ? .... If this is what they class as a 3 Years On-Site (Premium Panel Guarantee) then you can guess what the answer will be, i'd love to drop this on the desk of the MD of Asus and say "This is your 3 Years On-Site (Premium Panel Guarantee) in action.

Last edited:
I am very sad to read this after what I have been through but if you complain to them, they may well help you out.

I also had an experience with them which mirrors your ordeal. I gave the driver a mint 24" vg236 3d monitor and they gave me back a tatty replacement except that they went one step further.

The pin was missing that holds the height adjustment, so somebody decided to use very sticky tape. When I removed the tape, the stand (without the base) jolted out and cut my hand. This was in front of the driver.

Also the sticky tape left a residue that could not be removed. I emailed Asus about this but didn't get a reply.

Three months later, I received a reply. I had forgotten the whole thing and counted it as a loss. They where very sorry for the late reply and with what had happened and offered me a replacement. They offered me a new 27" vg278 in exchange for my 24" model. I gladly excepted of course thus putting Asus back in my good books.

So, give them a right good telling off. I'm sure that they will help you out.:)

Personally I'd record a little video, about it and plaster it over social media. No way in hell that should be even legally acceptable under warranty and consumer rights.

They sure are. :)

But to be fair this is not the usual quality of an ASUS replacement, it's shocked me as well to be honest.

Well Asus was never great for motherboards and gpus in my experience. This is making me lean towards the AOC models as well.

I certainly do like my current ones.

I had the same experience with Asus several years ago and haven't touched them again since for monitors. Quite shocking that they are still up to this behavior.

I returned a week old monitor which had overdrive ghosting and they swapped it for one with a chipped bezel, scratched screen and even worse overdrive ghosting.

The customer service guy I was dealing with was helpful and did sort it for me in the end. He was just as disgusted with the RMA process and left (or was fired for sharing his opinions) shortly after.

But to be fair this is not the usual quality of an ASUS replacement, it's shocked me as well to be honest.

Considering their have only been 11 posts on this thread, 3 people are already saying that they have had the same experience with Asus warranty replacements so i'd say its a not an isolated issue.

Well I've had issues with my new Asus rampage mobo and their customer service was terrible. Luckily I could return the mobo to the retailer for full refund and bought a new one from OCUK but generally I am not touching Asus products unless their warranty is handled by the seller himself.

All warranty's I have seen so far seem to be a joke, seems to me you either get a decent thing first time around or you always get problems.

I thought it was well known that Asus's warranty department unpacked returns, launched them into a wall, then packed them back up, said they arrived broken and that the warranty was void, and then lost them?

I'm almost certain LetMeRepair send out B-Grade panels, customer returns etc. What are you doing about it next The Matrix? I've had 3 replacements of the PB278Q in the last couple of weeks all worse than the one I sent back.

I was going to buy the Asus ROG Swift monitor when it came out but I'm never touching Asus monitors again. LetMeRepair are a disgrace and are ruining the Asus brand.

Back
Top Bottom