ASUS AI Overclocking

Sel

Sel

Associate
A friend of mine just had a little go at overclocking his new 6600 by using the Overclocking AI but even at just 5% it wouldn't boot.

I thought these CPU's were easy to overclock.

Soldato
Turn on MANUAL overclocking. Go to FSB section of the bios. Increase the FSB (should be 1066 or something) increase it to say 1200, save and reboot. It is so easy.

My 1.8GHZ E4300 is now running at over 3.3GHZ

Sel

Sel

Associate
OP
Sadley he's lost his nerve now and won't touch it.
He says he'll leave it for 12months then try it when he needs it.

I wanted him to overclock his and get it upto speed before I get my new rig.

Soldato
Depending on what board he has, a lot of ASUS boards have a feature that will restore them from a bad overclock, you just turn it on and then off again, then BIOS defaults are loaded. I have a ASUS P5N-E SLI, FYI.

Sel

Sel

Associate
OP
He's got this Asus P5N32-E SLi nForce with 6600 C2D and this memory OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-6400 Dual Channel Platinum Revision 2 XTC Series DDR2.

I don't think I can get him to try it again but I'll keep at him.

Soldato
Dark_Angel said:
Depending on what board he has, a lot of ASUS boards have a feature that will restore them from a bad overclock, you just turn it on and then off again, then BIOS defaults are loaded. I have a ASUS P5N-E SLI, FYI.
Yep, I've got an ASUS s939 board and I think I've had to pull the CMOS jumper only once in about 5 months :) Not sure why it won't POST just because he enabled the AI OC feature, as my mobo manual reckons it's a dynamic overclocking feature that only kicks in when the CPU is under load!

Sel

Sel

Associate
OP
Right I found out that he tried the auto overclock in the bios but that just caused a no boot.

He did try again using the software option from windowsXp again at 5% and again no boot.

I carn't get him to try the manual bios settings.

He has run 3DMark06 and is getting just under 10,000 which seems quite good at stock speeds.

Associate
AI OC feature, as my mobo manual reckons it's a dynamic overclocking feature that only kicks in when the CPU is under load!

It does indeed, run CPU-z when the system boots it should say 2.4Ghz (assuming you're using an E6600) then run a CPU intensive app like Super PI and watch as the value goes up to whatever percentage OC you chose. Downside is it takes moment for it to register so if you're after that top Super Pi score you won't get it with Asus AI.

Right I found out that he tried the auto overclock in the bios but that just caused a no boot.

I had the same problem once I reached 15% OC, turned out to be my RAM stopping me from booting.

Get him to set the Vcore at 1.3V, set the DRAM frequency to the level below what it is as standard and then you can increase the FSB value from there try going up 50Mhz at a time. Remember FSB x CPU multiplier = increased frequency amount so an FSB increase of 5 or 6 x 9 (E6600 multiplier) = more or less 50Mhz. Once you hit 3.0Ghz on your CPU your RAM frequency should be back to stock speed.

Sel

Sel

Associate
OP
Well he finally did it went from 1066 to 1090, Ok I know it's nothing but it took him over 10,000 in 06 and he now knows what to do(sort of).
He really won't touch it again now untill he finds the need for it, for him it's a big jump as he was only getting 1500 on his last PC so it seems super fast now.

He still have to use the jumper to reset the bios if he makes any mistakes though.

Thanks Guys.

Back
Top Bottom