Asus b650 e-e couple of questions

Associate
Using the above board and currently have two nvme drives, one installed in M2_1 and the other in M2_4, noticed that temps reported in HWInfo for chipset is about 72-75c when gaming 68c idle, this may sound silly but can having nvme placed in that slot contribute to temps? another question how accurate the HWInfo is regards the temps of chipset. I could move the nvme to M2_3 which then don't use the chipset but manual say pciex16_1 will only run x8. Would that effect 4080 super in any way?

That is high. Just adjust your case fan curve, or get more/larger case fans. I presume you have pcie5 nvme in M2_1 but I doubt this would affect Chipset temps if properly installed with a good heatsink and case cooling.

noticed that temps reported in HWInfo for chipset is about 72-75c when gaming 68c idle
High chipset temps are pretty common, not a concern unless it goes up a lot under load. Boards seem to use putty for the TIM, or in some cases nothing :o

There's a thread on the Asus forum where someone replaced the pad and it dropped nearly 20 degrees.

this may sound silly but can having nvme placed in that slot contribute to temps?
The load on the chipset is a factor, but one drive? Nah, I doubt it.

I could move the nvme to M2_3 which then don't use the chipset but manual say pciex16_1 will only run x8. Would that effect 4080 super in any way?
Not that much, no, but why lose performance if you don't have to? I think you're fine with those temps.

There's a thread on the Asus forum where someone replaced the pad and it dropped nearly 20 degrees.
I might have to give this a try, original pads looked very thick but ASUS claim in manual should 1.25mm, before I run any games that run of that nvme sits about 68c, in all honesty I remomebr when installing drives notice that once heatsink is in place nvme drives had a slight bend.
Not that much, no, but why lose performance if you don't have to? I think you're fine with those temps.
not helping having GPU pumping heat just right on top of it, but yeah is constatly at 71c now, no problems with gpu or cpu temps while gaming, both around 60c, both nvms around 40c

That is high. Just adjust your case fan curve, or get more/larger case fans. I presume you have pcie5 nvme in M2_1 but I doubt this would affect Chipset temps if properly installed with a good heatsink and case cooling.
no I'm using pcie4, just coudn't justify the cost of pcie5 for now

Would anyone know size of thermal pad I could use on that chipset? I think is the only solution I could try to see if improves, there is no way to get any more air around that chipset

Would anyone know size of thermal pad I could use on that chipset? I think is the only solution I could try to see if improves, there is no way to get any more air around that chipset
In the thread I linked, someone asked and they said the thickest available for TP-3 (1.5mm), but would consider thicker for other brands.

The first action on every Asus board that I’ve used for the past few years, replace thermalpads. MSI offers some decent ones in some of their boards, but Asus was very poor. My B650e-f, different board, using 3 NVMEs, a 4080 dumping heat over it, never cross 50C. Only today, as I have the board mounted on the desk, as I needed to use the PC but still waiting the delivery of my next case, no fans to cool the chipset, it reached 57C after few hours of use.
The chipset won’t thermal throttle as easily as the NVMe would, but I’m always trying for the best/reasonable thermals.
For thermalpads I’ve used Gelid before, very soft, but hardened quickly becoming crumbly. Replaced with the best ones from Arctic as they’re soft, relatively cheap and won’t suffer the same issue as the Gelid ones.
Same for the NVME pads. But for most that is over the top, but for me was an easy and quick improvement.

The first action on every Asus board that I’ve used for the past few years, replace thermalpads. MSI offers some decent ones in some of their boards, but Asus was very poor. My B650e-f, different board, using 3 NVMEs, a 4080 dumping heat over it, never cross 50C. Only today, as I have the board mounted on the desk, as I needed to use the PC but still waiting the delivery of my next case, no fans to cool the chipset, it reached 57C after few hours of use.
The chipset won’t thermal throttle as easily as the NVMe would, but I’m always trying for the best/reasonable thermals.
For thermalpads I’ve used Gelid before, very soft, but hardened quickly becoming crumbly. Replaced with the best ones from Arctic as they’re soft, relatively cheap and won’t suffer the same issue as the Gelid ones.
Same for the NVME pads. But for most that is over the top, but for me was an easy and quick improvement.
In all honesty I went with Asus as MSI board failed on me, it wasn't top of the range but still, maybe should have done my research before bit more. Won't make that mistake again, how about Thermal Grizzly can get them in 2mm?

Back
Top Bottom