Asus Essence STX II owners

Soldato
I've had for maybe 10 years the original Asus Essence ST, I know that even the STX II is no longer new however i'm considering buying one. I can actually buy an STX II at quite below retail, hence i'm considering one now.

Interesting in anyone thoughts, especially if they also had the original Essence ST to compare.

Also how are the drivers on the STX II, my ST uses some Windows 10 beta drivers and they have been fine, so I presume STX II drivers are ok.

Also interested in anyone who has had the STX II and also some similar priced DAC's. Should the STX II even be considered, and money better spent towards a DAC.

gEd

gEd

Associate
While I can't actually provide the feedback you as seeking, I guess the answer to your last question depends on what you mean by "similar priced DACs", given that you are able to buy the STX II for "quite below retail" (£175) but you don't say what this price is.
Also, do you just want line out to amp/powered speakers only or good headphone amplification as well?

I attempted to move my (also) 10 year old Asus Essence ST over to my ROG Crosshair VI hero mobo last week only to realise that it was a PCI (not PCI-X) card! A pity as the ST is a superb sound card. Before buying an expensive Naim DAC, I ran the ST into my Naim XS amp and proac speakers and thought it sounded fantastic and I have no reason to doubt that the STX II wouldn't sound just as good and I have also been thinking about getting one.

Soldato
OP
The situation I actually have 2 of the original Essence ST's, one is in a HTPC, and the other in my main computer computer.

My main computer is an i7 8700 that has a legacy PCI slot, however i'm building a Ryzen machine and that motherboard does not have legacy PCI.

So i'm left with either get STX II, or alternatively a Cambridge DAC Magic Plus.

Soldato
The situation I actually have 2 of the original Essence ST's, one is in a HTPC, and the other in my main computer computer.

My main computer is an i7 8700 that has a legacy PCI slot, however i'm building a Ryzen machine and that motherboard does not have legacy PCI.

So i'm left with either get STX II, or alternatively a Cambridge DAC Magic Plus.

I have an original STX, in a box in the cupboard. Main reason is my usage swung further towards music from gaming. So I canned the STX and got a load of Schiit.

IMO if you’re gaming with headphones, get an STX II, but if mainly music then get the DAC Magic Plus (it’s a great bit of kit for the money tbh).

Soldato
OP
I have an original STX, in a box in the cupboard. Main reason is my usage swung further towards music from gaming. So I canned the STX and got a load of Schiit.

IMO if you’re gaming with headphones, get an STX II, but if mainly music then get the DAC Magic Plus (it’s a great bit of kit for the money tbh).

That's good feedback, thank you. This is not for gaming, just 2.0 into stereo amp.

What is the Schiit DAC like, what model do you have?

Soldato
That's good feedback, thank you. This is not for gaming, just 2.0 into stereo amp.

What is the Schiit DAC like, what model do you have?

I’ve been through a couple of setups but settled with the Bifrost DAC and Asgard headphone amp. Love them, also run the DAC to a Yamaha AS500, which really shines as a pair.

The DACMagic Plus and TEAC UD-301 are good shouts as well for the price range, the TEAC is closer to £400 though IIRC.

Soldato
OP
I’ve been through a couple of setups but settled with the Bifrost DAC and Asgard headphone amp. Love them, also run the DAC to a Yamaha AS500, which really shines as a pair.

The DACMagic Plus and TEAC UD-301 are good shouts as well for the price range, the TEAC is closer to £400 though IIRC.

I know this is subjective, but from all those setup's, what DAC sounds the most natural/analogue ?

One of the reasons i liked the Essence ST, is sounded pretty analogue, especially compared most cheap DAC's that sound harsh or not that natural.

Soldato
I know this is subjective, but from all those setup's, what DAC sounds the most natural/analogue ?

One of the reasons i liked the Essence ST, is sounded pretty analogue, especially compared most cheap DAC's that sound harsh or not that natural.

IMO, they all sound quite clinical. However the Schiit Asgard amp is quite warm for solid state. Bonus of having separate devices, you can mix and match I suppose.

I would try yourself with your own setup. Depending on where you shop, you could try and send back for a refund easily. I’ve done this with Sevenoaks, Richersounds and Audio Affair without any issues at all, they’re all rather helpful.

Associate
As someone who's just upgraded from an Asus Xonar Essence STX (not STX II), I think I know what you mean by the Essence ST having a wam, analogue sound. The Sound BlasterX G6 that I also own sounds cleaner than the STX, but clinical in comparison. I upgraded to an Audeze Mobius, which is a USB headset. I'm very pleased with the sound quaility of the Audeze Mobius. I'd recommend that you upgrade to an external DAC rather than to another internal soundcard. Are there any local hi-fi shops where you could audition some DACs, once lock-down has been lifted?

Soldato
OP
As someone who's just upgraded from an Asus Xonar Essence STX (not STX II), I think I know what you mean by the Essence ST having a wam, analogue sound. The Sound BlasterX G6 that I also own sounds cleaner than the STX, but clinical in comparison.

I owned a Sound Baster Titanium HD, it was a very good card however I found it a bit clinical and over-processed compared to the Asus ST, so I sold the Titanium HD.

Regarding testing DAC's there are no shops near me, I live between Nantwich and Crewe, and in Crewe is is no shops! Just rows of empty shops, even the charity shops are closing down!!

Back to plan A.

I have ordered the Asus STX II. Paid £135 'Used Like New'. Will see what card is like, I did a lot of reading and realised the OPAMP's on my Essence ST's are apparently not the best, so it would appear I've not been getting the best from the ST.

Will post back with my thoughts on the STX II once the card is burnt and settled in.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just an update on this.

The Asus Essence STX II arrived. In the future I might give detailed comparison and all my thoughts, however in summary the card is better then the original Essence ST.

What immediately hits you, it's a very pure card, I can tell that the signal and the electric passing though the card is really clean. PSU I was using has an Seasonic X750w, so getting really clean power into the card.

Second thing is with the Muse Op-Amps it's very smooth sounding, it's more relaxing then than the original Essence ST. The ST had a natural/analogue feel, however the STX II has taken this another notch up.

One of the thing i'm going to try is putting the Muse STX II op-amps into one of my ST card, and see if I can get the ST closer to the STX II.

* And this is the most important part of this thread right here. If you want very high quality, audiophile grade, just get the STX II.

Apparently the STX II is even better with some Bruson Audio Op-amps, however the card as standard is very very high quality so intrigued how much better this could become.

Soldato
Interesting. I found that I preferred the sound of the ST over the STXII.
Not sure how to describe it without getting into audiophile waffle, but it just had a 'magic' that the newer card lacked.

Soldato
OP
Interesting. I found that I preferred the sound of the ST over the STXII.
Not sure how to describe it without getting into audiophile waffle, but it just had a 'magic' that the newer card lacked.

How many hours did you put on the STX II before making your decision? I mention is at first the STX II was worse then then ST and even considered returning the card. However a couple of days the card 'opened up' how much of this was real or just perceived i'm unsure however.

The other thing worth mentioning, is i'm listening on some Yamaha floor standing speakers, those are a little clinical sounding, so maybe having the STX II with the more relaxed Muse op-amps it's favouring those speakers.

Soldato
I bought it on the MM, so it was definitely well run in.
It was a few years ago. All I remember is that I was underwhelmed when I did the swap and didn't do any extended A-B testing.

I was using a flac recording of The Who - Eminence Front as a comparison/test track and immediately noticed a relative lack of 'space' and 'sizzle' around the drums (and perhaps in general). It sounds like a minor audiophile quibble, but it was quite noticeable and I'm not an audiophile, just a guy that likes decent sound quality.
Can't remember what headphones I was using. Could've been Sony 7506 or DT 770 or AKG K712.

Soldato
OP
Now I must admit, I've not done any A/B testing yet, at some stage i'm getting to get 2 systems together (one with each card) so i'm going to make 100% sure.

I'm using Amazon Music HD, and i'm really enjoying the STX II however I am going to A/B those cards.

Soldato
OP
Ive had a Xonar STX for years it was good but i just picked up a sh Evga Nu Audio on the bay the Nu Audio is way better!

What is the difference in the audio between the cards.

Before buying the STX II I was reading reviews, and found people saying the STX II is better then the Nu Audio.

Associate
What is the difference in the audio between the cards.

Before buying the STX II I was reading reviews, and found people saying the STX II is better then the Nu Audio.

Very clean, smooth sound with great Sound-stage, it is just cleaner and brings out more 'sounds'

H have not tried the STX 11 my STX was the original one.

Soldato
OP
Very clean, smooth sound with great Sound-stage, it is just cleaner and brings out more 'sounds'

H have not tried the STX 11 my STX was the original one.

Thats interesting, thanks for your feedback.

I've still not A/B'd the ST and STX II, however this weekend i'm going to connect two computers to the same amp, and even using 2 pairs of identical RCA cables, will listen to the difference between the cards.

Back
Top Bottom