• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Asus Explains why you should re-evaluate your PSU for 3080 (or your GPU)

Soldato
23:02

Asus is including a led indicator on top of the power connector if the voltage of the rail drops to low (any transients not just lower power/wattage). Or if the PSU wasn't able to deliver power fast enough as a result of fast load changes. Which can cause a drop in needed voltage. This isn't just about not having enough wattage alone. Which causes blackscreens, crashes, etc. And it's not limited to just the 3080 GPU either. IMO, this should be mandatory on all GPUs as a warning indicator IMO.

As he indicates if you've been running your PSU hard (IE: running the PSU at it's peak performance rating for example) the voltage regulation may no longer be adequate for the fast load changes that are required (for most GPUs...again this isn't limited to just the 3080).

Last edited:
Soldato
Not just wattage

entry level psu even entry 750w model may not have 3x 8 pin connectors and you will need to upgrade - this is happening to me, my psu has the wattage but does not support 3 cables to the gpu

Permabanned
2913669-l-b.png

I do not think it matters where I plug in correct any of those 1-10 sockets can be used for CPU or PCI-E?

Soldato
Yeah that's a big psu, you've got 10 x 8 pin connectors I've only got 3 (one for cpu and 2 for gpu). That looks like it's a 1200w/1600w tip of the line psu from Corsair

Soldato
Not just wattage

entry level psu even entry 750w model may not have 3x 8 pin connectors and you will need to upgrade - this is happening to me, my psu has the wattage but does not support 3 cables to the gpu
Just thought of that, LOL. I cannot run all models.

Last edited:
Associate
Dont mean to hijack a thread, but rather than posting a new topic. Seems a bunch of you know fair amount of PSU details.

I am looking at getting a 3080, and have purchased a new PSU for my system, (Used to have a 650w corsair). Ordered a Corsair TX850, Would this PSU be fine for both partner and founders edition cards?

Cheers

Soldato
Should be ok if you stick to cards with just 2 x 8 pin connectors like the founders or partner cards with stock tdp

Associate
Dont mean to hijack a thread, but rather than posting a new topic. Seems a bunch of you know fair amount of PSU details.

I am looking at getting a 3080, and have purchased a new PSU for my system, (Used to have a 650w corsair). Ordered a Corsair TX850, Would this PSU be fine for both partner and founders edition cards?

Cheers

To be honest unless you are ramping your system up a lot via OC the 650 would probably still be ok as my Corsair 650 has 2x 8 pin and that's like 3 years old.

Soldato

Cheers
More than fine.

Soldato
I came across this article that investigates indepth into the power consumption of graphics cards. I would recommending reading through it.
https://www.igorslab.de/en/graphics...cause-and-correct-power-supply-measurement/4/

In the test he had a 5700xt (TDP 225W) that could consume upto 350W of power in short bursts and Igor speculated that this could shutdown a PSU if it was unable to cope with this load.

He also has graphs for the Vega 64, 1080ti and 2080ti on the second page, showing these card's peak loads during testing.

For anyone who is planning on cutting it close with their PSUs wattage for these new cards, just be careful.

Back
Top Bottom